Jump to content

PC won't boot - PSU?

irishbeast
 Share

I was using my PC yesterday  and noticed on a few occasions it froze completely (could even get into Task Manager) which is very strange indeed.

 

Eventually it wouldn't power up at all. Had an RX3080 in there, tried swapping to others but same problem.

When I power on PC the fans start going (not on GPU though) which would suggest a power problem but its been fine for ages 750w PSU iirc.

I presume any of the 6 and 8 pin connectors coming from the PSU can be used. I did have a splitter which I noticed had a snapped wire yesterday. So will see if getting another helps

Computer basically sounds like its booting up but not output. Tried different cables, VDUs and get same outcome every time

 

I have a horrible feeling I may have bent pins on my 3080 swapping cards so much. Tried changing the ram configuration as I was getting desperate 

GPUS light up but fans aren't spinning. Don't even get the bios screen.

 

I really hope its the PSU as I ain't buying another 3080.Pins have become bent on the card. Any tips for strightening. Just two of them. Other cards I tried exactly same output.

Any other suggestions? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

I was using my PC yesterday  and noticed on a few occasions it froze completely (could even get into Task Manager) which is very strange indeed.

 

Eventually it wouldn't power up at all. Had an RX3080 in there, tried swapping to others but same problem.

When I power on PC the fans start going (not on GPU though) which would suggest a power problem but its been fine for ages 750w PSU iirc.

I presume any of the 6 and 8 pin connectors coming from the PSU can be used. I did have a splitter which I noticed had a snapped wire yesterday. So will see if getting another helps

Computer basically sounds like its booting up but not output. Tried different cables, VDUs and get same outcome every time

 

I have a horrible feeling I may have bent pins on my 3080 swapping cards so much. Tried changing the ram configuration as I was getting desperate 

GPUS light up but fans aren't spinning. Don't even get the bios screen.

 

I really hope its the PSU as I ain't buying another 3080.Pins have become bent on the card. Any tips for strightening. Just two of them. Other cards I tried exactly same output.

Any other suggestions? 

Post full specs please. You got any HDDs or old SSDs?

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

Post full specs please. You got any HDDs or old SSDs?

Tried again this morning. My 3080s fans spin but doesn't output, rx480 lights up but no output. second rx480 the same. 

 

Specs

 

Ryzen 5900X

32 GB (4x8) Corsair memory (3200mhz) All identical

Gigabyte B550 gaming x motherboard

GPU is/was Gigabyte RTX 3080 10 gig model

1 TB nvme

1TB regular SSD

PSU EVGA 7500 watt Bronze cert.

 

Has been absolutely fine and it just started freezing randomly yesterday. 

I've tried everything I can think of. If the board is playing up then I don't want to risk frying GPUs as my 3080 is the only one that spins on. I don't want to put it back in until I find the problem as its out of warranty now. 

 

Recently upgraded to Windows 11 but it all worked for a week so can't blame it. Have tried resetting the bios by removing the battery, but that doesn't work either!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

Tried again this morning. My 3080s fans spin but doesn't output, rx480 lights up but no output. second rx480 the same. 

 

Specs

 

Ryzen 5900X

32 GB (4x8) Corsair memory (3200mhz) All identical

Gigabyte B550 gaming x motherboard

GPU is/was Gigabyte RTX 3080 10 gig model

1 TB nvme

1TB regular SSD

PSU EVGA 7500 watt Bronze cert.

 

Has been absolutely fine and it just started freezing randomly yesterday. 

I've tried everything I can think of. If the board is playing up then I don't want to risk frying GPUs as my 3080 is the only one that spins on. I don't want to put it back in until I find the problem as its out of warranty now. 

 

Recently upgraded to Windows 11 but it all worked for a week so can't blame it. Have tried resetting the bios by removing the battery, but that doesn't work either!

Ok I see. Try turning off PSU and removing CMOS battery for 5 min and remove SATA SSD. Then Try to fire it up again. If it dosen't work, try another PSU and or test GPU's in another machine.

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Done all the above apart from fitting a new psu. 

 

Cant imagine all gpus  have fried. I bloody hope not. 

 

Sold my spare machine recently.  Annoying 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it sorted.

 

Turns out on of the 6+2 pin connectors from my PSU was a bit erratic. Bought a new 6 to 12 pin converter and used the other cable and it seems okay. Not sure its completely stable but thank god my 3080 is okay as that was a worry.

 

I have a brand new 1000w PSU which I might as well upgrade. I will probably skip 4000 generation of nvidia cards as the 3080 should do for a couple of years. By the time the 5000 series come out I will probably need a nuclear power station to power the bloody thing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×