First time build (converting from Mac)

TyrelleD

Budget (including currency): about $1,000 CAD

Games, programs, or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily, this will be my WFH machine. I've been on MacBooks for years now. I'm ready to tether down with a desktop, and I'm sick of paying Apple pricing.

My work isn't particularly demanding. Primarily I'm a writer, curriculum designer, and occasional web designer. My workflow often looks like four or five-word processing docs, music, a handful of browsing tabs, note-taking apps, plus a few other background apps (Slack, Mail, etc.) running in the background all at the same time. I need to be able to multitask without getting bogged down at relatively quiet and cool performance. (Don't worry, all my necessary apps are web-based or OS agnostic). 

Down the road, I could see dabbling in some gaming, but I'm content to use my console until prices drop or the next-gen GPUs come out. I'm an exploratory gamer, I like to try lots without having to fiddle with too many settings. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc.): Currently, I'm using a MacBook Pro 14" from 2021 connected via USB docks to peripherals and a Sony KD-43X85J TV. I'd like to keep using this TV as my monitor. It's capped at 4k 60, which is what I'd like my day-to-day use to remain at. Gaming, I'd be content dropping to 1440p 60hz or even 1080 at 60+. 

I'm looking to buy and build the PC soon, but, as I mentioned, I don't need to be able to game on it any time soon. I'd even consider picking up an older used GPU (1660?) and using that for a year or two, as I only dabble in gaming. 

I've put together a parts list over on Newegg.ca and written it out below. 

CPU: Core i5-12600k

MB: ASRock Z690M Micro ATX

GPU: None in the short term <6 months, cheap used in the medium term six months to a year, xx70 series equivalent in the long term (+1 year). Is this a reasonable strategy? 

Case: Fractal Design Pop Mini Air RBH mATX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB - Given my need for multi-tasking, is it worth going for 32GB right away? 

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G6 - I think this would be more than enough for my exploratory GPU plan

SSD: WD Blue SN570 1TB m.2, may add more drives later. 

Thanks for your input! I've been wanting to build a PC for years--and I'm glad it's finally a reasonable time. 

Went with a good cpu cooler, and you can get a cheaper PSU. 650W is still more than enough, even for a RTX 3070. If you're looking to get anything higher than that though, definitely go for the 750W.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/HBddMb
CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($259.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler  ($91.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-A D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($172.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($80.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design Pop Mini Air MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($144.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($127.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
$988.88

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Thanks for the input GeorgeMKane. The build you’ve put together is a little simpler—I dig it. I’ll keep this thread updated with what I decide and how the build goes.