Random crashes while under normal load

Fabb

my pc crashes at random intervals and then gets stuck in a crash-restart loop like you see with a thermal problem.

today this happened after <1h. i already completed memtest with no problems found and even after 3h of heavyload the pc didnt crash so it would seem like this is not a load related problem.

can anyone tell me what this could be?

my specs are:

b85m-d3h rev 1.2

i7-4770

radeon rx560

2x8 ballistix sport ddr3

and a 450w power supply that i cant find online

These symptoms wouldn't point me to thermal issues. Try to run the system as bare bones as possible to see if the symptoms persist. Remove the GPU and all drives/peripherals except for the boot drive, and only insert 1 stick of RAM. Have power plugged in to the 24-pin atx, the 8-pin cpu, and the single boot drive. Plug your monitor in to the onboard HDMI. It probably wouldn't hurt to reapply and reseat the CPU cooler as well to remove that as a variable.

If the problem persists, I personally would make sure the BIOS is updated, and then reinstall Windows to remove the possibility of driver conflicts. On the fresh install, add the GPU back in and update chipset and video drivers.

If the problem STILL persists, it's a hardware issue. It's either the mobo, CPU, or PSU. These are hard to diagnose without replacement parts.

I agree with KingPizza, I have a very similar system i am using as plex server now.  4770k with Asus mb, i was also having it randomly reboot.  I changed the power supply and it stopped.. 

Since that is the cheapest and only option, if the things KingPizza suggests don't work, you could try the PSU.   Get a good one as if the MB capacitors are starting to fail, a good PSU could help extend this systems life.   You are looking at 9+ year old system now, I am happy every day my 4770k is still going, it was such a good CPU when it came out.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:54 PM, KingPizza said:

These symptoms wouldn't point me to thermal issues. Try to run the system as bare bones as possible to see if the symptoms persist. Remove the GPU and all drives/peripherals except for the boot drive, and only insert 1 stick of RAM. Have power plugged in to the 24-pin atx, the 8-pin cpu, and the single boot drive. Plug your monitor in to the onboard HDMI. It probably wouldn't hurt to reapply and reseat the CPU cooler as well to remove that as a variable.

If the problem persists, I personally would make sure the BIOS is updated, and then reinstall Windows to remove the possibility of driver conflicts. On the fresh install, add the GPU back in and update chipset and video drivers.

If the problem STILL persists, it's a hardware issue. It's either the mobo, CPU, or PSU. These are hard to diagnose without replacement parts.

i recently installed the nh-u9s so the cooler is seated correctly, the bios version is also the most recent one (2015 i think).

plugging my second monitor into the onboard HDMI seems to have helped as it only crashed after ~8h yesterday.

it only crashes while under some load but running it "barebones" it wouldnt even have enough Ram for work loads (windows takes ~3gb).

i will try to reset windows throug the media creation tool and see if that helps.

edit: should i remove my files too or is it enough to remove settings and apps?

52 minutes ago, Fabb said:

i recently installed the nh-u9s so the cooler is seated correctly, the bios version is also the most recent one (2015 i think).

plugging my second monitor into the onboard HDMI seems to have helped as it only crashed after ~8h yesterday.

it only crashes while under some load but running it "barebones" it wouldnt even have enough Ram for work loads (windows takes ~3gb).

i will try to reset windows throug the media creation tool and see if that helps.

edit: should i remove my files too or is it enough to remove settings and apps?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you tested the system without the GPU or any extra drives installed? And it still eventually crashed?

no this was just putting the monitor into the onboard hdmi

after the reinstall of windows it just boots back up after a chash without the looping, and it only seems to happen after long activity (>6h).

i noticed it only happens when i am watching youtube on my second monitor.

today it happened when just Firefox, discord, Steam, Openhardwaremonitor, Whatsapp and Radeon Software were open so i suspect it has to do with firefox as i had everything else running on the pc for about 2 years now and this problem only started recently (after switching to firefox).