How do I get my domain profile back after switching my computer's domain?

Hi guys,

My FreeNAS system is acting as a Domain Controller (treat it like a normal Windows 2008 R2 DC). My main rig (Windows 8.1 Update 1) was set up as part of the domain. [situation at this point: DC is up, PC is part of Domain]

I rebuilt the FreeNAS system setup from scratch after switching a lot of hardware around (CPU, Motherboard & RAM) so that the plugins would work correctly (they were still looking for the old NIC). [situation at this point: DC is down, PC is still part of the Domain but without a DC]

I re-added my PC to the domain and everything worked fine. I logged in with my same user/pass and the PC logged me into my correct profile. [situation at this point: DC is up, PC is part of Domain]

After reinstalling my plugins, they were still having issues, so I did it again, except this time I moved all my data to another PC and wiped everything on the FreeNAS machine. [situation at this point: DC is down, PC is still part of the Domain but without a DC]

Then after reinstalling FreeNAS, and configuring it, I re-added my PC to the Domain again, but this time, it didn't let me log in with my correct profile and instead made a new one. In the Users folder, there's my local profile [user], my old domain profile [user.Domain] and now my newly made profile [user.Domain.000]. I don't want the .000 one. I want it to log me into my original one. [situation at this point: DC is up, PC is part of Domain]

The username/password didn't change. The domain name didn't change. The PC and FreeNAS' system names did not change.

And I have no idea why it worked the first time I did this and not the second. 

I could just move the stuff from my old to my new profile since it's still there, but it's not just files, but preferences as well (i.e. task bar pins, start menu pins, background settings, etc) and I'm not sure how the Domain will handle me doing that. 

If anyone knows why I could sign in correctly the first time and not the second, I'd love to know as that would probably tell me what my problem is, thanks.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

After reinstalling my plugins, they were still having issues, so I did it again, except this time I moved all my data to another PC and wiped everything on the FreeNAS machine. [situation at this point: DC is down, PC is still part of the Domain but without a DC]

You can't really expect to do all of that and have everything come back to how it was...

Any chance that your profile is or was a roaming profile?

And do you have that much computers that you need a DC at home...?

"Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?"

-- Maurice Moss

So you have created a new domain and are wondering why your profile has changed?

No. Good idea, but no. 

I had an old domain with my FreeNAS system. My domain profile worked fine. 

I upgraded the hardware in the system and reinstalled the OS. After configuring the Domain again, the domain profile still worked just fine. It's a local profile.

Then I reinstalled the OS a second time and wiped the data on the FreeNAS system only. After configuring the Domain again (identical settings), the domain profile wouldn't work. 

You can't really expect to do all of that and have everything come back to how it was...

Any chance that your profile is or was a roaming profile?

And do you have that much computers that you need a DC at home...?

Well, it's a local profile and always has been. I figured as long as the Domain, Username, and password were the same, my PC would still log me into my local domain profile. It did after the first reinstall but not after the second. That's what confuses me, as I can't think of anything relevant to domain profiles on the FreeNAS system's storage drives. 

I checked it multiple times by going to Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > User Profile Settings and seeing that it's always listed as a Local profile in it's 40GB local storage glory.

Oh, no, I don't. I understand this is something thats not for home use, but I'm doing it more so for learning purposes. That's why I didn't bother making my profile a roaming profile, so that all my profile's data is always on my PC so I can get it. 

I could just copy/paste from that User folder to a new one that isn't a Domain account, but getting everything back to how it was would be time consuming and I'd rather just have the profile start working again. If that's not possible though, I have an alternative. 

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I get that this is a very technical question about Domains. Not many would know the answer. Me using FreeNAS complicates further. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

No. Good idea, but no. 

I had an old domain with my FreeNAS system. My domain profile worked fine. 

I upgraded the hardware in the system and reinstalled the OS. After configuring the Domain again, the domain profile still worked just fine. It's a local profile.

Then I reinstalled the OS a second time and wiped the data on the FreeNAS system only. After configuring the Domain again (identical settings), the domain profile wouldn't work. 

Well, it's a local profile and always has been. I figured as long as the Domain, Username, and password were the same, my PC would still log me into my local domain profile. It did after the first reinstall but not after the second. That's what confuses me, as I can't think of anything relevant to domain profiles on the FreeNAS system's storage drives. 

I checked it multiple times by going to Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > User Profile Settings and seeing that it's always listed as a Local profile in it's 40GB local storage glory.

Oh, no, I don't. I understand this is something thats not for home use, but I'm doing it more so for learning purposes. That's why I didn't bother making my profile a roaming profile, so that all my profile's data is always on my PC so I can get it. 

I could just copy/paste from that User folder to a new one that isn't a Domain account, but getting everything back to how it was would be time consuming and I'd rather just have the profile start working again. If that's not possible though, I have an alternative. 

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I get that this is a very technical question about Domains. Not many would know the answer. Me using FreeNAS complicates further. 

Once you create the new domain you invalidate all of the old profiles. Make them roaming profiles and they will be stored on the DC, it would be easier to back up, but will take longer to log in.

Once you create the new domain you invalidate all of the old profiles. Make them roaming profiles and they will be stored on the DC, it would be easier to back up, but will take longer to log in.

That makes sense, but then I don't understand why it worked the first time I reinstalled FreeNAS but not the second. 

That's the bit that confuses me. 

† Christian Member †