Nexsan E60

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

You were on the right path, create an iSCSI LUN and mount this on your TrueNAS system and then let TrueNAS manage this storage device, where by creating shares etc will now be possible.

However that said, using an old system like this for "backups" (?) is a really bad idea. If it's just a very temporary storage location to move data around but the data will never stay there or can be lost without issue then not so much of a problem. Just remember disks will die, always. You don't know when, how or why but they will and having a system like this without hardware support you'd be lucky to get more than 12 months out of it before you have too many disks failures and no replacements.

Also TrueNAS as a VM running on Promox with an iSCSI mount inside this TrueNAS VM is a bad architecture overall. That is a lot of abstraction layers and point of failure. Ideally you would be installing TrueNAS directly on some hardware and connecting this server/host to the NEXSAN using iSCSI or FC.

Hi, 

to begin with i work in an IT company and got a task to revive an old SAN. I managed to resurrect it. The problem started with powering it on and setting it up. It was functional 4 years ago. Ive been working here for like month so i dont have any info about it. 

After setting it up i used RAID 6 (i got instructions from IT manager) theres 15 disk from which 1 is spare. the system began array verifying. Its on 63% from yesterday (11:30) it continues. To. get to my task. My TI manager told me that he wants to use it for occasional back up. The only connection it has is fiber host and iscsi host i managed to connect my pc via iscsi to it but i didnt find how to map a drive in pc or how to transfer data to it. I wanted to try making a trueNAS on Proxmox server and then connect it together so i could control it through it but no luck im really lost on this. It has its own kind of software Nexsan storage manager but thats just dead end i guess. 

I would appreciate any help from anyone. 

Thanks Sebastian 

Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 15.25.51.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 15.26.15.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 15.26.24.jpg

Screenshot 2022-08-12 at 15.26.32.jpg

You were on the right path, create an iSCSI LUN and mount this on your TrueNAS system and then let TrueNAS manage this storage device, where by creating shares etc will now be possible.

However that said, using an old system like this for "backups" (?) is a really bad idea. If it's just a very temporary storage location to move data around but the data will never stay there or can be lost without issue then not so much of a problem. Just remember disks will die, always. You don't know when, how or why but they will and having a system like this without hardware support you'd be lucky to get more than 12 months out of it before you have too many disks failures and no replacements.

Also TrueNAS as a VM running on Promox with an iSCSI mount inside this TrueNAS VM is a bad architecture overall. That is a lot of abstraction layers and point of failure. Ideally you would be installing TrueNAS directly on some hardware and connecting this server/host to the NEXSAN using iSCSI or FC.

So, managed to map it straight to PC. Thanks for the right direction. I still dont know how i managed to do it but it works :DD