PC Randomly Reboots

gmalette
Go to solution Solved by OddOod,
On 8/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, gmalette said:

When I plug in the drive on the top panel USB, it will cause the PC to reboot

That sounds like a power issue. Fucky PSU or mobo. 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, gmalette said:

I really doubt so, the reset button makes an audible click when depressed

There is a small chance that the wire is acting as an antenna and triggering it. Unless you use it a lot it wouldn't be a bad idea to just unplug it. It's low hanging fruit.

My PC often spontaneously reboots without BSOD, usually when I'm playing LoL, and usually past 11PM. When it does, it will consistently reboot when I load up the game, after being in the game for just a few seconds (1-2s). It will reboot constantly as long as I try to play LoL. Some games appear to be unaffected.

I originally suspected a cooling issue but the temps are fine, and it happens even when all my fans are running at max speed.

I ran MemTest86, one pair at a time. When the XMP profile is active, both pairs will cause the test to reboot with a weird noise after ~5 minutes. Without XMP, MemTest86 passes on both pairs.

What's even weirder is that I used a 2.5" spinning disk for MemTest86's boot drive. When I plug in the drive on the top panel USB, it will cause the PC to reboot immediately, and that happens every time. Once it's plugged in, there are no problems.

Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4

Intel 12700K

G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR4 4000 MHz (4x16 GB)

AMD 6800XT

Cooler Master MWE 750W Gold

Corsair 280mm AIO

2x Noctua 140mm

1x 120mm stock fan

Any ideas what more I can try/what's wrong with my PC?

There are similar topics but none that felt quite similar enough.

Underclock your ram might be the only way.  I had this problem until two days ago.

Welcome to the forums!

Is there any chance your reset button is being pressed? If so, try just unplugging it from your mobo

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

The first thing that comes to mind is ram as I have had my system randomly restart do to unstable ram speeds. I would try running the ram at the motherboards default settings rather than the xmp profile and see if you still have the issue. I know I stopped having restart issues after I put my ram speeds to default. I then slowly increased the ran speed until the issue showed up again and then down clocked to the speed slightly below that. 

@Brooksie359 @JKRsega @OddOod Thanks for the answers!

> Is there any chance your reset button is being pressed?

> unstable ram speeds

Both the motherboard and the memory are supposed to work at 4000, and this specific memory *IS* in the motherboard's QVL. I can definitely try underclocking or running at default (IIRC 2666), but wouldn't that be considered a problem?

Also, would that explain the reboots when I plug in the hard drive, even at default speed?

19 minutes ago, gmalette said:

> unstable ram speeds

Both the motherboard and the memory are supposed to work at 4000, and this specific memory *IS* in the motherboard's QVL. I can definitely try underclocking or running at default (IIRC 2666), but wouldn't that be considered a problem?

Also, would that explain the reboots when I plug in the hard drive, even at default speed?

My ram is meant To be 3200mt but I'm luck y and can OC to 3800mt, but the overclock I had been told to put in was on a knife edge and occasionally just errored out and restart my pc with no BSOD, nothing at all, just an instant restart.  Something in your pc is not happy at running that high a memory speed.  So as Brooksie said, put it at default and slowly work your way up.  Good luck mate!

56 minutes ago, gmalette said:

> unstable ram speeds

Unfortunately with very high speed ram they say a speed but its nor absolutely guaranteed especially at super high speeds like 4000. If your cpu memory controller just happens to be worse than normal then it could cause 4000 mhz be not totally stable. Again like you have said its not like it's completely unstable as the reboot only happens under certain scenarios but that still could mean it's unstable. I had the same issue. The ram speeds was fine for 99.9% of the stuff I did but that .1% of stuff I did caused my computer to restart. 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, gmalette said:

When I plug in the drive on the top panel USB, it will cause the PC to reboot

That sounds like a power issue. Fucky PSU or mobo. 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, gmalette said:

There is a small chance that the wire is acting as an antenna and triggering it. Unless you use it a lot it wouldn't be a bad idea to just unplug it. It's low hanging fruit.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

I managed to isolate the PSU by using an old unit, although removing the GPU and using only 8pin for the CPU. 

The computer stopped rebooting when plugging the HDD, first success. I was also able to run memtest at XMP. 

I replaced the PSU with a new, 1000w unit, and the problem appears to be gone!

Thanks everyone for your help!