I'm convinced I have power supply gremlins.. and I'm close to giving up...

vliktor

I've had two similar issues over the last 8 years, both systems with Silverstone PSUs. I'm at my wit's end as the problem may either be the PSU, my UPS, or my electrical circuitry. 😤😱

First system affected had a SilverStone 750W 80+ Gold modular PSU. I bought it in 2014, then the problems started happening in 2018. The whole system basically wouldn't turn on with the power switch. I tried shorting the jumpers to turn it on, same thing. What would work normally was, turning off everything, unplugging the power supply from the UPS, and plugging it back in after a few minutes. Sometimes, I had to plug it in to regular power, then it turns on. One time I brought my computer case to a computer store to see if they could figure it out, and just buy a new PSU if it still would have the same problem. And to my dismay (or relief), it would turn on. What the hell was going on?

Eventually though, the problems kept popping up again at home until I just decided to buy a new PSU (but still a SilverStone 650 W 80+ bronze), and the problems went away.

Fast forward to last week: my new AMD Ryzen system was going well for two years now, with the same SilverStone 650W I got in 2018, but a new UPS (APC 1500VA). No issues whatsoever, until, bam, the same power on problem started happening 😖. I try the same steps (unplugging, plugging to the wall outlet, etc), but no dice. I bring it to the computer store, and it turns on with no fuss. Again, what the hell was going on? I bring it back to my house the same day, and it turns on with no problems. But this week? It won't power on again. Until I unplug it from the UPS, re-plug it after a few minutes, and back to normal it goes.

I am at my wit's end: could my electrical circuitry be at fault? Electrical surges (we had a few thunderstorms lately)? Nothing else in my household was affected, though. Am I just unlucky, and should I just get a new PSU (again)? Should I stay away from SilverStone PSUs?

Ryzen 5 3600 + CoolerMaster Hyper 212 LED Turbo | Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550 | G.Skill Trident-Z (2x8) DDR4-2133 | MSI GTX 1060 Gaming-X 6 GB | NZXT Phantom 410 | SilverStone 650W 80+ Bronze non-modular | Intel SSD 535 (240 GB) SSD - Kingston UV400 (480 GB) SSD - Sandisk SSD Plus (1 TB) SSD - Western Digital Caviar Blue (1 TB) HDD

Sounds like you may want to not get a Silverstone PSU next purchase. Might I recommend a seasonic focus GM/GX or a Corsair CX/CXM or an MSI MPG A-GF?

11 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Sounds like you may want to not get a Silverstone PSU next purchase. Might I recommend a seasonic focus GM/GX or a Corsair CX/CXM or an MSI MPG A-GF?

I'm reaaally inclined to just skip SilverStone and go with Corsair or Seasonic. I'm too tired and have little time to be troubleshooting and lugging around that computer case to a store. But I'd really want to nail it down to a single factor before I fold and just buy a new PSU, when the problem might be elsewhere.

Ryzen 5 3600 + CoolerMaster Hyper 212 LED Turbo | Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550 | G.Skill Trident-Z (2x8) DDR4-2133 | MSI GTX 1060 Gaming-X 6 GB | NZXT Phantom 410 | SilverStone 650W 80+ Bronze non-modular | Intel SSD 535 (240 GB) SSD - Kingston UV400 (480 GB) SSD - Sandisk SSD Plus (1 TB) SSD - Western Digital Caviar Blue (1 TB) HDD

UPDATE: the power supply seems to be working properly now. Haven't had a power up issue. Only time will tell at this point.