Couple of questions about Corsair HX1000 connectors and 12v rails

Nozyspy

Hi everyone,

So im installing a Corsair HX1000 into my case at the moment with some nice Cable Mod cables. There were some things i wanted to ask about thought;

First off, from my other builds in the past i seem to remember that the advice used to be that if a component required more than one cable to power it (like a GPU) that those cables should be plugged into different banks of connectors (i.e different 12v rails) on a multi 12v rail PSU. Is this still something worth doing? I have included a diagram of where i have plugged the cables in at the moment, should you wish to critique it.

Secondly, the HX1000 has a manual switch to change between a single and multi 12v rail setup. Despite reading and watching videos about it I'm still not really clear what the advantage of either is, other than that multi rail has over current protection on each of the 12v rails and single rail allows the full 1000w to go to a single component.

Thirdly, how would having a component plugged into multiple banks of connectors on the PSU, be affected between single and multi rail setups?

Other components:

Asus Maximus Z690 Hero

Intel i7 12700k

Asus Strix 3080Ti OC

Corsair Dominator Platinum DR5 5600 - 32gb

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!

Nozy

My Cable Placement 2022.jpg

24 minutes ago, Nozyspy said:

First off, from my other builds in the past i seem to remember that the advice used to be that if a component required more than one cable to power it (like a GPU) that those cables should be plugged into different banks of connectors (i.e different 12v rails) on a multi 12v rail PSU. Is this still something worth doing? I have included a diagram of where i have plugged the cables in at the moment, should you wish to critique it.

The HX uses virtual multi rail. Unlike true multi rail power supplies which may have multiple connectors on each rail, with the HX each connector has it's own 40A limit when in multi rail mode. Basically means each connector acts like its own rail. Because of that it doesn't matter which "rail" you plug in to as they're all independent. 

Though, if it was a true multi rail unit you are right that you would want to spread the cables out over different rails if possible.

27 minutes ago, Nozyspy said:

Secondly, the HX1000 has a manual switch to change between a single and multi 12v rail setup. Despite reading and watching videos about it I'm still not really clear what the advantage of either is, other than that multi rail has over current protection on each of the 12v rails and single rail allows the full 1000w to go to a single component.

You nailed it. Multi rail mode enables that 40A current limit per connector. You shouldn't be drawing >480w through a single cable so you may as well leave multi rail on. 

29 minutes ago, Nozyspy said:

Thirdly, how would having a component plugged into multiple banks of connectors on the PSU, be affected between single and multi rail setups?

It doesn't matter.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Rail isn't really the right term, it's more like a connector current limit on/off switch.  If you're exceeding 40A on a connector then something has gone wrong.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

31 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The HX uses virtual multi rail. Unlike true multi rail power supplies which may have multiple connectors on each rail, with the HX each connector has it's own 40A limit when in multi rail mode. Basically means each connector acts like its own rail. Because of that it doesn't matter which "rail" you plug in to as they're all independent. 

Though, if it was a true multi rail unit you are right that you would want to spread the cables out over different rails if possible.

You nailed it. Multi rail mode enables that 40A current limit per connector. You shouldn't be drawing >480w through a single cable so you may as well leave multi rail on. 

It doesn't matter.

Thanks! Obviously my knowledge is a bit out of date haha.

I appreciate the clear explanation!