Need help - Playing full screen games keep resetting digital vibrance (colors become washed out and looking gray)

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
18 minutes ago, 3Miner6 said:

i googled how to disable full screen optimizations or/and hdr on windows 7, couldn't find any ways to disable it . plus cpkeeper did not work (colors are still washed out) even though i locked the profile and used the .icm file that came with my monitor. what the heck NVIDIA!

Are you running window 7?  If so that may be a problem in and of itself.  Windows 7 was depreciated many years ago and manufacturers no longer look for hardware incompatibilities with it. With any hardware newer than the depreciation of win7 such things could randomly crop up without such a device running out of spec. Such things would be random and should still be infrequent, but if that is the case every part of the machine designed after that time automatically becomes suspect. 

Every time i run a game in full screen the colors become washed out, even when i exit the game my desktop looks washed out(tested this on several games, all appear washed out), this only happens when i launch a full screen game. however playing in borderlines windowed mode does not look washed out except that it puts a strain on my fps so that's not a solution. (my digital vibrance in NVIDIA control panel is set to 80)

specs:

Windows 7 x64 (with esu)

RTX 3070

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

(i also tryed to update the gpu drivers and change output color format and range in the nvidia control panel it did not work, ive looked all over the internet and nothing worked for me i need help on this)

This sounds like a monitor thing.  I’ve never heard of digital vibrancy before.  Adding what monitor you are using may help if anyone happens to have that monitor and knows their way around it’s software. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

my monitor is the MSI Optix G24C4 (sorry about not posting my monitor in the post i should've have). also increasing digital vibrancy make the colors more intense that's basically what is is. do you also know what software can be a work around?

2 hours ago, 3Miner6 said:

my monitor is the MSI Optix G24C4 (sorry about not posting my monitor in the post i should've have). also increasing digital vibrancy make the colors more intense that's basically what is is. do you also know what software can be a work around?

I don’t.  It seems to be a problem with this digital vibrancy which seems to be the work around software already in place that is being turned off.  So what is turning it off?  This digital vibrancy thing: is it from the tv the OS or the video card?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i already said in the post, digital vibrance keeps resting ONLY when i launch a full screen game (colors are washed out ONLY when i launch a full screen game) it has to be something with the video card i think

15 minutes ago, 3Miner6 said:

i already said in the post, digital vibrance keeps resting ONLY when i launch a full screen game (colors are washed out ONLY when i launch a full screen game) it has to be something with the video card i think

Try resetting your gpu to all default settings and observe what happens.

sorry guys for responding this late, however i reset all setting to default in NVIDIA control panel, launched a couple of full screen games and all appeared washed out. so resting the settings to defaults did not help me unfortunately  

17 minutes ago, 3Miner6 said:

sorry guys for responding this late, however i reset all setting to default in NVIDIA control panel, launched a couple of full screen games and all appeared washed out. so resting the settings to defaults did not help me unfortunately  

Makes the possibility that the problem is something went ping in the video card non zero.  

5 hours ago, 3Miner6 said:

Alright. I think, that rules out your gpu. Now try using a different monitor or Tv with pc vga input. Because this can be a monitor issue.

3 hours ago, RMTM said:

Alright. I think, that rules out your gpu. Now try using a different monitor or Tv with pc vga input. Because this can be a monitor issue.

Not totally sure but I like the known good parts swap thing.  If known good monitor doesn’t do it known good gpu may be a next step.  If THAT doesn’t work it’s clean install time 😕

i had a old hp Compaq LA 1956x monitor that i used to test. the games i tested it were fifa, gta, and gmod. borderlines windowed was fine but when i tried full screen the game appeared washed out. so its not the monitor issue because there was the same result on both monitors, my main monitor (MSI Optix G24C4), and now on the hp Compaq LA 1956x. so is the issue with the graphics card??

On 8/3/2022 at 11:10 PM, 3Miner6 said:

Every time i run a game in full screen the colors become washed out, even when i exit the game my desktop looks washed out(tested this on several games, all appear washed out), this only happens when i launch a full screen game. however playing in borderlines windowed mode does not look washed out except that it puts a strain on my fps so that's not a solution. (my digital vibrance in NVIDIA control panel is set to 80)

specs:

Windows 7 x64 (with esu)

RTX 3070

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT

(i also tryed to update the gpu drivers and change output color format and range in the nvidia control panel it did not work, ive looked all over the internet and nothing worked for me i need help on this)

I had this problem with my nvidia cards as well I had to either disable full screen optimizations for specific games or use a program called cpkeeper. It basically locks your color profile so full screen games stop using different gamma settings.

i googled how to disable full screen optimizations or/and hdr on windows 7, couldn't find any ways to disable it . plus cpkeeper did not work (colors are still washed out) even though i locked the profile and used the .icm file that came with my monitor. what the heck NVIDIA!

1 minute ago, 3Miner6 said:

Ah I missed the part that you were on windows 7, it only works on 10 and 11. What you can do is use the nvidia filters by pressing alt-z if you have the GeForce overlay on. In the filters you can adjust colors and brightness contrast on a per game basis. I use that in some games like “for the king” where the colors are all washed out. It’s not the best method but should do the trick. 

18 minutes ago, 3Miner6 said:

Are you running window 7?  If so that may be a problem in and of itself.  Windows 7 was depreciated many years ago and manufacturers no longer look for hardware incompatibilities with it. With any hardware newer than the depreciation of win7 such things could randomly crop up without such a device running out of spec. Such things would be random and should still be infrequent, but if that is the case every part of the machine designed after that time automatically becomes suspect.