Linus! tell us how you moved your computer in another room... Step by step! *please help - has anyone else done this??

Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,
7 hours ago, snowkiid said:

hey just wanted to say thanks for all the recommendations.  i listed 5k as a budget to move the pc to another room but shoulda clarified more in my OP. 

Sorta already have the highest end stuff already.  be quiet dark base pro full tower,  all on 140mm bequiet silent wings 3 fans, 3080ti, 420 artic freezer rad on the 3700x (okay thats not high end but im waiting for the chips to come out this year).  

The biggest reason why i want this is because i despise the heat... and the noise.  i work in Unreal Engine all day and all animation and etc programs that come with being a game dev.  hence why i must find out how linus did it. no matter the cost haha  oh also  i just moved into an new home so AC i have a dedicated unit upstairs. my room still feels 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. 

Find a closet or even a basement (unfinished basement will help with temperature modulation), hook some cooling and ventilation. Then, if you can, run the conduit PVC (1.5-2in is fairly inexpensive) to where you want to be sitting using optical cables for DP/HDMI and USB/thunderbolt. 

If you are good at minor drywalling and spackling, then you have even more options as you can run the conduit through the wall yourself.

Budget (including currency): 5000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: unreal engine, games, creative programs etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My current setup

Bequiet dark base pro 900,

case is all on 140mm silent wings 3 fans,

3080ti

3700x plan to upgrade

32gb memory

My budget is 5k to get this project done

I have spent hours trying to find out how linus moved his pc in another room creating a completely silence gaming and productivity experience. Can some one tell me the exact step by step guide on how to accomplish this? Without loosing high refresh rates from monitors?   

I have concluded so far that I will need -  Corning Thunderbolt optical cable,  Caldigit TS4 Thunderbolt dock.   and I think ill need a thunderbolt AIC card too, is that correct?  

if so, 

1. I believe ill connect a short DP cable from the GPU to the AIC thunderbolt card attached to the motherboard.   

2.  connect the Corning Thunderbolt optical cable from the AIC thunderbolt card to the Caldigit TS4 dock that supports high refresh rate monitors. 

3. connect DP cable from the Caldigit TS4 to the high refresh rate monitor.

is that correct?  after all that i should be able to connect all my peripherals to the TS4 dock and i should be set? 

im just looking for a confirmation.. hoping someone out there has done this other than linus... 

There are whole videos on this one.  Apparently it was extremely expensive.  The easy way to do it is a server and a thin client.   Iirc that’s not what he did though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There are whole videos on this one.  Apparently it was extremely expensive.  The easy way to do it is a server and a thin client.   Iirc that’s not what he did though.

Lots of optical thunderbolt and optical DP cables

It would be much cheaper to upgrade your machine with high end and virtually silent coolers...

Like if you're not overclocking, a Fuma2/NH-D15/DRP4 are actually quieter than ambient room sound. Especially if the PC is kept several feet from you.

There are several high end coolers for any series of graphics card that cool extremely quietly and efficiently.

And then there is no latency concern for any elements involved.

Also are you playing games with no sound?? Investing in a nice sound system and a decent cooling setup will already mitigate any sound from your PC.

I don't necessarily think the money you'd spend on this project would justify the outcome. 

You've still got an A/C in your room, yeah?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX850 Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $403.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-02 22:52 EDT-0400

Here's some high airflow parts to consider. I'm not sure what gear you've got already, but if you're not already running a high end GPU cooler, look at models like ROG Strix, FTW3, and Aorus Extreme for the dead silent units. MAYBE a few hundred bucks markup from lower tier units.

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

Lots of optical thunderbolt and optical DP cables

Almost Anything can be a thin client though.  Including a phone.  I suspect if latency and screen resolution weren’t giant issue it would just be the right way to do it.  So much simpler and more flexible.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, trevb0t said:

It would be much cheaper to upgrade your machine with high end and virtually silent coolers...

Like if you're not overclocking, a Fuma2/NH-D15/DRP4 are actually quieter than ambient room sound. Especially if the PC is kept several feet from you.

There are several high end coolers for any series of graphics card that cool extremely quietly and efficiently.

And then there is no latency concern for any elements involved.

Also are you playing games with no sound?? Investing in a nice sound system and a decent cooling setup will already mitigate any sound from your PC.

I don't necessarily think the money you'd spend on this project would justify the outcome. 

You've still got an A/C in your room, yeah?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX850 Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $403.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-02 22:52 EDT-0400

Here's some high airflow parts to consider. I'm not sure what gear you've got already, but if you're not already running a high end GPU cooler, look at models like ROG Strix, FTW3, and Aorus Extreme for the dead silent units. MAYBE a few hundred bucks markup from lower tier units.

It’s not hard to cut that by a hundred bucks but it is another way to go.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s not hard to cut that by a hundred bucks but it is another way to go.

Of course. I'm just giving high end examples, since he's listing a $5k budget to move a PC into another room.

27 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

Of course. I'm just giving high end examples, since he's listing a $5k budget to move a PC into another room.

Point.  It won’t cost that much even if you hire someone to do the wiring.  NM Smurf tube btw. No staples.

37 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

hey just wanted to say thanks for all the recommendations.  i listed 5k as a budget to move the pc to another room but shoulda clarified more in my OP. 

Sorta already have the highest end stuff already.  be quiet dark base pro full tower,  all on 140mm bequiet silent wings 3 fans, 3080ti, 420 artic freezer rad on the 3700x (okay thats not high end but im waiting for the chips to come out this year).  

The biggest reason why i want this is because i despise the heat... and the noise.  i work in Unreal Engine all day and all animation and etc programs that come with being a game dev.  hence why i must find out how linus did it. no matter the cost haha  oh also  i just moved into an new home so AC i have a dedicated unit upstairs. my room still feels 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. 

7 hours ago, snowkiid said:

Find a closet or even a basement (unfinished basement will help with temperature modulation), hook some cooling and ventilation. Then, if you can, run the conduit PVC (1.5-2in is fairly inexpensive) to where you want to be sitting using optical cables for DP/HDMI and USB/thunderbolt. 

If you are good at minor drywalling and spackling, then you have even more options as you can run the conduit through the wall yourself.

4 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Thank you ! seemed like a no brainer but i have a friend that can do all the drwalling etc.  great suggestion with the pvc.