Optimize server for Minecraft

ripper101

So I have a Dell office desktop that I repurposed as a light server. It has an i5 4590, 8gb RAM, and a 500GB SSD running on Windows 10. I know Windows isn't the best server operating system but it's the only one I know how to use. The server seems to run pretty bloated while idling and only leaves about 3GB of RAM for the server. Windows also shuts down and restarts as it pleases for updates. Is there any way to optimize this or do I have to switch operating systems. 

1 hour ago, ripper101 said:

So I have a Dell office desktop that I repurposed as a light server. It has an i5 4590, 8gb RAM, and a 500GB SSD running on Windows 10. I know Windows isn't the best server operating system but it's the only one I know how to use. The server seems to run pretty bloated while idling and only leaves about 3GB of RAM for the server. Windows also shuts down and restarts as it pleases for updates. Is there any way to optimize this or do I have to switch operating systems. 

The model can be quite handy with Dell stuff because they’re all OEM prebuilts.

there is.  Look in startup items and (god the name escapes me) but there’s a system for only running some things on startup.  It’s like selective startup or something.  Someone here will know.  I don’t know how much you will get out of it.  Windows 10 theoretical minimum is like 1or 2gb.  I personally think this is an effective fiction though and should only even be considered when running a vm

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.