5800X3D Help?

Subz

Hi guys

I just built a new system with a 5800X3D and an Asus B550 motherboard. Is there anything I need to change in the BIOS for this CPU apart from just updating the BIOS which I did.

I also turned on D.O.C.P for my RAM, maxed my CPU fan header speed where my AIO is connected to and thats about it. Not sure what else I need to change/tweak in the BIOS.

Just try it at first, look at the temps and clocks you get, probably is already all good.

Mine overheated because I had an underpowered cooler for it, so I set a negative voltage curve offset for it (-0.075), so now it runs 20c cooler, and 0.2ghz faster.

But if you are running with an actual watercooler, not an 120/140mm one, I don't expect you to run into any thermal problems.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Just try it at first, look at the temps and clocks you get, probably is already all good.

Mine overheated because I had an underpowered cooler for it, so I set a negative voltage curve offset for it (-0.075), so now it runs 20c cooler, and 0.2ghz faster.

But if you are running with an actual watercooler, not an 120/140mm one, I don't expect you to run into any thermal problems.

Hey dude, thanks man

When it come to tweaking BIOS stuff Im a complete noob, this is actually the first "proper cpu" I invested after many years of saving and never had to do this stuff before.

I am using an arctic freezer II 240 AIO cooler for it.

So you say just use it an monitor? No initial tweaks or changes required from what I have already done in the BIOS?

if it runs ok and doesnt overheat, theres nothing you should have to change as the 5800x3d chips are locked, but i would recommend setting the cpu voltage to amd's stock value, not to auto. 

Just now, Subz said:

Hey dude, thanks man

When it come to tweaking BIOS stuff Im a complete noob, this is actually the first "proper cpu" I invested after many years of saving and never had to do this stuff before.

I am using an arctic freezer II 240 AIO cooler for it.

So you say just use it an monitor? No initial tweaks or changes required from what I have already done in the BIOS?

Yeah. Download HWInfo64, and look at CPU clockspeeds and temperature. If the cpu is under 85c while completely loaded, I would say it is completely fine.

Arctic Freezer is really nice, I don't expect problems.

Just now, SiliconMagician said:

if it runs ok and doesnt overheat, theres nothing you should have to change as the 5800x3d chips are locked, but i would recommend setting the cpu voltage to amd's stock value, not to auto. 

Why? Then it would run at 1.35V the whole time, instead of dropping down to 1.0V when no load. 

Even at full auto, on my Asus motherboard the voltage never went over 1.35V, so I think he is completely fine at leaving it at auto. I just had thermal problems, so I run it at 1.26V, but that is also with a voltage offset, so it can still freely move up and down, depending on load.

18 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Yeah. Download HWInfo64, and look at CPU clockspeeds and temperature. If the cpu is under 85c while completely loaded, I would say it is completely fine.

Arctic Freezer is really nice, I don't expect problems.

Thank you so much, will do this. One more question, the CPU speed in the BIOS shows up as 3600mhz, is this correct?

17 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Why? Then it would run at 1.35V the whole time, instead of dropping down to 1.0V when no load. 

Even at full auto, on my Asus motherboard the voltage never went over 1.35V, so I think he is completely fine at leaving it at auto. I just had thermal problems, so I run it at 1.26V, but that is also with a voltage offset, so it can still freely move up and down, depending on load.

im used to older ryzen chips that would sometimes run at higher voltages, my bad. newer chips are smarter about voltage seemingly

11 minutes ago, Subz said:

Thank you so much, will do this. One more question, the CPU speed in the BIOS shows up as 3600mhz, is this correct?

That is the base clock, so yeah. Look what it is when windows is booted, then it should be over 4.0.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

That is the base clock, so yeah. Look what it is when windows is booted, then it should be over 4.0.

Ok great! Thanks again, appreciate your time