Win11 - interesting (annoying) problem

homeap5

My friend recently update his laptop to win11. And I discover some strange, very strange problem with his system. Problem is with c:\users\Public\Documents folder.

No matter how I set permissions, (including disable iheritance) I cannot create folder inside using command prompt. That means all other programs installers who need access to that folder have problems too. And no matter if I'm using command prompt as admin or not. Even icacls reset can't work. There is no info about bad permissions or anything like that. It display info about problem with finding file!

I have access to everyone, ownership is proper (I tried many things) and nothing works really.

But - what is more important - I can copy everything, create folders etc. using NORMAL Explorer (without even administrator elevation). I can list files, copy files from inside - basically everything, but only using Explorer. I can't save even file from notepad to Public\Documents, even if folder has full permissions for System, Administrators, specific user, everyone and all users.

If anyone has that type of problem and know where problem is - I'll be happy for a hint. What I don't need (I want to clarify that) is any type of "please try..." advices. I don't want to try anything, I want to solution from a person who have the same problem and find source of that problem. Real solution (not like "reinstall..." etc.). Thanks.

While not a solution and more of a question (sorry)... Is there any real purpose for public documents? I've personally never used that folder nor do I know of a software that made use of it, that folder has always been empty for me.

In any case, sorry if you don't want "please try..." advices, but this is important to have more information on your issue.

"There is no info about bad permissions or anything like that. It display info about problem with finding file!"

This is the weird part to me, it can't find a specific file you had put in there? Or it can't find the public folder at all?
If you manually go to that folder in explorer and hold shift + right click(might have changed to shift+f10, unless they use something like ExplorerPatcher), you should be able to open a terminal through the context menu that is already set in that folder, does that work at all to do what it is you wanted to do in that folder or does it show the same thing?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Did cmd prmpt output any error?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It was strange behaviour of additional Windows folder protection. And since it's very deep hidden and there is no clear info about it, I must spend really lot of time to find the source of a problem.

Thank you for your tries, really, but as I said - I only need advice if someone has the same problem and solve it. I do not need assistance. For curiosity - "problem with finding file" was when I was trying to SAVE file. Nice, right? 🙂

Thanx!