PC turns off when I play games

Hello everyone,

For the past few days my PC started turning off after 5 minutes when I play games.

Here are my specs:

• XFX AMD Radeon RX 590 Fatboy

• AMD Ryzen 7 2700x with a stock Wraith Prism cooler

• HyperX Fury DDR4 16 GB RAM

-MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

-600W Cobra Power power supply

• Mid tower, plenty of space, 3 fans on front sucking in, 1 in the back sucking out

• Software and Windows updates are all up to date. Both Radeon Software and Widows recently reinstalled.

• Virus and malware free

Once my PC first turned off I opened it up and cleaned the whole case, fans, heatsink, etc. I cleaned and reapplied the thermal paste and had the same results.

Because I suspected it was my CPU causing the problems I measured the temperatures, it was 50 degrees C idle. I ran AIDA64 stress test and my CPU temperatures would go over 100 degrees in a few minutes, shutting the PC down.

I undervolted my CPU to 1.35V and I removed the side of my case, pointed a house fan directly at it. Idle temperatures are 37-40.

I tried playing a game again and this time it lasted for 2 hours and turned off again. I gave the PC a break for about an hour and tried playing once more, but it just turned off after 5 minutes, like before.

It's hot as balls where I live, over 40 degrees C (100 F) and I don't own an AC.

I have a few questions/concerns:

• Is this solely an overheating problem? I already ordered a new CPU fan, Cooler Master MasterAir MA612. I considered buying liquid cooling but it requires 300W and my power supply wouldn't be able to handle it, and I'm not liquid enough (excuse the pun) to afford both a new cooler and a new power supply at the moment.

• Speaking of which, could my power supply be the issue? I wanted to change it for some time now, but somehow other things always come first. It's by far the oldest part of my PC and the only thing I carried over from my old PC when I built this one a little over 2 years ago.

• Could something else, like GPU be the problem? Going back to the power supply, specs are showing Fatboy requires 500-550W to run optimally. Is my power supply bottlenecking it? Also the GPU gets so hot I can fry eggs on it.

Any thoughts, ideas, solutions?

Thank you!

If your CPU couldn't handle a stress test for a few minutes, then you are most definitely hitting a recurring thermal shutdown. Not being able to have AC with those temperatures isn't doing you any favors. You might want to add another exhaust fan to your system. You'll still have slightly positive pressure, but it'll help get the air through the case.

Speaking of... What case do you have? Hopefully not one with a full glass front panel.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Temps were the first thing I thought of, it could be the psu.  But I'm still thinking temps.

I doubt it's your video card, usually issues with gpu will cause blue screens, getting dump from games to desktop, artifacts or just losing video.

So you are still getting 50C idle?  What's your gaming temps?

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

Check event viewer or the memory dumps to see why it turned off?

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man