Internet in outdoor office

Jabin
Go to solution Solved by dj_ripcord,

Since this is a new structure, if it is possible to trench and run conduit, I would run an ethernet cable 9 times out of 10. I would not consider direct bury cable - but that's just my opinion. If trenching and conduit is cost inhibitive, then a wireless link from your home to the office should suffice. Take a look ant Ubiquiti AirMax NanoBeam. Low cost way of providing point to point link to a location. Get two of these, point them at each other from both ends, and they essentially act as an invisible Ethernet cable. From there, connect a switch and an access point for wireless connectivity in the office.

Does anyone have any good solutions for outdoor office internet. I am starting a job that requires home internet to be wired to my work computer, however, I plan to have an outdoor office space to work in. My first thought was to just literally run a really long cable from the modem and drill holes though walls to get a single ethernet cable into the office and just run it under ground into a switch. I wanted to see if there is a more proper way to do this or if there is a better solution. The office wont be terribly far from the home, so I know there are cables like online and best buy that are long enough to reach. Also any ideas for outdoor offices would be sweet. I am probably going to get a custom tough shed built so I can install a window AC unit and insulation etc. So far that has seemed to be the best fit for me so far. I'll attach a picture of the shed I got quoted for. 

Screenshot_3.png

Since this is a new structure, if it is possible to trench and run conduit, I would run an ethernet cable 9 times out of 10. I would not consider direct bury cable - but that's just my opinion. If trenching and conduit is cost inhibitive, then a wireless link from your home to the office should suffice. Take a look ant Ubiquiti AirMax NanoBeam. Low cost way of providing point to point link to a location. Get two of these, point them at each other from both ends, and they essentially act as an invisible Ethernet cable. From there, connect a switch and an access point for wireless connectivity in the office.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

22 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

I was just looking up trenching and conduit. great solutions thank you! 

6 hours ago, Jabin said:

I was just looking up trenching and conduit. great solutions thank you! 

Just wanted to add, Ethernet has a max range of 100m or 328Feet. So just be aware of that limitation when deciding where the dig and route the cable. If you need a cable run longer than that you will need to look in to Fiber Optic cabling. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/28/2022 at 12:36 AM, Donut417 said:

Just wanted to add, Ethernet has a max range of 100m or 328Feet. So just be aware of that limitation when deciding where the dig and route the cable. If you need a cable run longer than that you will need to look in to Fiber Optic cabling. 

I'd use fibre anyway for electrical isolation.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7