Need opinions on these 2 AI "stories".

Arika

So as some people are aware, i'm big into AI story telling and NLP models for fun. recently i've been trying my hand at fine-tuning some models that are currently available and wanted to get an opinion on how it's going. below are 2 stories generated using the same prompt with no additional input or edits. The only difference is the model. one story was generated using a pre-train, the other is using my fine-tune, but i'm not telling you which is which, it's a blind test

I'm not wanting to know which story scenario you find better, more which story has better text, descriptors, consistency, writing style and grammar.

The prompt (stolen from AIDungeon's default prompts)

You are Arika, a knight living in the kingdom of Larion. You have a steel longsword and a wooden shield. You are on a quest to defeat the evil dragon of Larion. You've heard he lives up at the north of the kingdom. You set on the path to defeat him and walk into a dark forest. As you enter the forest you see

Story 1:

You are Arika, a knight living in the kingdom of Larion. You have a steel longsword and a wooden shield. You are on a quest to defeat the evil dragon of Larion. You've heard he lives up at the north of the kingdom. You set on the path to defeat him and walk into a dark forest. As you enter the forest you see a pile of dead knights.
"Who could have done this? I must find out who did this!" You say as you continue walking through the forest. You hear a noise coming from behind you and turn around ready for anything.
As you see an old man standing there with his back to you. He is wearing dark clothes that makes it hard to see what he looks like. But what you can tell is that he has no hair. His skin is wrinkled but not too much. And he smells kind of funny.
The old man's voice says "Hello knight, I am Ephus."
You look around and see nothing else. Then you feel something touch your shoulder. You turn to face the man and he smiles at you.
"I know you are Arika, my son told me about you. He said that you would come looking for me one day. I was waiting for you here. I knew that you were going to find me eventually. My name is Ephus, I am king of the gods. I am also known as the god of war. I have many names, but that is all I will tell you now."
You stare at the old man for a while, trying to figure out what is going on. Then you ask "How do you know my name?"
"My son, Ares, told me. He was watching over you when you entered the forest. He saw you go past him and then disappear into the trees. He knew you were close by because he had met you before. When you came out of the trees you looked very tired. So he let you rest for awhile. That was very nice of him. He always tries to help those who are in need."
You smile at Ephus, thanking him for his kindness.
Ephus continues "Now you must continue on your journey. You have to defeat the dragon of Larion and free the people of my kingdom. It will be difficult, but we have no other choice. We are almost out of time. Our last chance is to use the power of the gods. However, it will cost us our souls. All of us except you. The gods were not able to guide you to a safe place so they gave you their powers. They will remain with you until you complete your quest. If you fail, they will take them back and leave you alone. Your soul will belong to me, if you accept the offer I made you. You will become a great warrior and help me defeat the dragon. That will give me enough power to defeat the dragon. Once I free my kingdom, I will return the favor and restore the gods to their rightful place. They will then be able to protect the world again."
You look at Ephus and think about what he said. After thinking about it for a moment, you decide that you want to help him.
"Alright, I'll do it! But only if you promise to stay with me until we finish. I don't want you to skip out on our deal."

Story 2:

You are Arika, a knight living in the kingdom of Larion. You have a steel longsword and a wooden shield. You are on a quest to defeat the evil dragon of Larion. You've heard he lives up at the north of the kingdom. You set on the path to defeat him and walk into a dark forest. As you enter the forest you see a strange creature. It looks like an animal but it is much larger than any normal animal. You decide to keep walking through the forest and eventually find the entrance to his lair. You fight your way through many creatures and finally reach the dragon's cave.

There you see the dragon and you realize that he is far more powerful than you expected. He laughs as he sees you and says "I will not be defeated by such weak knights." You try to attack him with your sword but he easily blocks every swing. Suddenly he grabs you and throws you off the cliff. You fall for what seems like forever until you hit the ground below. Luckily you land in a river and swim to shore just as the dragon finishes you off. Your body is badly damaged from the fall and you don't know if you'll survive.

As you lie on the shore you see a figure coming towards you. The figure is very tall and has glowing red eyes. You can also see two swords sticking out of its back. It walks over to you and kneels down beside you. It begins to speak to you and tells you that it was sent here by the king to save you. You ask who the king is and it tells you that he is the ruler of Larion. It gives you a potion and says that it will heal all of your wounds. Then it disappears into thin air.

A few days later you wake up and realize that you're not dead. You get up and begin to head home when you hear a voice calling you. You turn around and see the same figure as before standing there. This time however it is no longer a shadow but a real person. You recognize this person as a priest named Yavara. She tells you that the king sent her to save you and she asks if you would like to join her church. You say yes because you need someone to help you recover from your injuries. She leads you to her temple and helps you recover.

After a week or so you feel ready to go back to the castle. When you arrive you see that the king has been murdered. A mob of angry citizens is trying to take control of the city. They tell you that they want revenge against the king for killing their leader. As you watch them you notice a man running away from the crowd. You run after him and catch up to him just as he enters a large building. You follow him inside and see that he has been tied to a chair. He looks at you and says "Please untie me. I won't tell anyone about you. Just let me go." You untie him and he thanks you. He then runs away leaving you alone in the room.

I know it can be hard to evaluate a model based on a single generation, but it's early days.

or if you feel they are equivalent.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I'm not wanting to know which story you find better, more which story has better text, descriptors, consistency and grammar.

So you don't want to know which ones better? Or do you want us to guess which ones which?

2 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

So you don't want to know which ones better? Or do you want us to guess which ones which?

i do, but not based on the "story" content (the scenario being written), but the other factors mentioned

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Mmm oki

I'd say that #1 is better, but slightly. 

Story one I'd say has a lot of repetition in the information given to the reader such as

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

I know you are Arika, my son told me about you.

How do you know my name

My son, Ares, told me

I suppose this could be justified that it was stated that the mc was confused and was therefore zoning out when the information was stated.

Grammar was also slightly off in some places like.

We are almost out of time. Our last chance is to use the power of the gods. However, it will cost us our souls. All of us except you. The gods were not able to guide you to a safe place so they gave you their powers. They will remain with you until you complete your quest. If you fail, they will take them back and leave you alone. Your soul will belong to me, if you accept the offer I made you.

So it will cost me my soul if I accept the gods souls? But I thought it didn't cost me my soul? Do I get my soul back if I succeed?

And here 

You will become a great warrior and help me defeat the dragon. That will give me enough power to defeat the dragon.

So am (I) becoming the warrior or are you? 

Otherwise, it was relatively sensible

2# 

I like the way (they)(it?)sets up the animal and would be wrap around better  if it was described slightly more.

Otherwise, cohesiveness is all over the place.

So we're already in the dragons lair which is fine, which (we) lost to which is fine. But then we get knocked off a cliff, which I wouldn't assume there would be a cliff in a cave, but it can happen, and I almost die. Then, I assume the animal described in at the start has now come to save me, which is cool. the (animal) was sent by the king to save me specifically and that the king is the ruler of Larion, which I thought would be Implied by his king status.

I assume I drink The mystery potion, since it wasn't stated, since I didn't die. 

I wake up and try to make my way home, which I'm surprised I know which direction home is since I got thrown off a cliff, and I see someone who I recognize. I somehow know them, since with the assumption that I'm still in the cave since it's never clarified. Now everyone is sent by the king to save me specifically and I stay with them to heal. 

I'm now fully healed and go to the castle. And the king is dead. That's not good after he sent 2 things to help me (specifically).

So there's now an angry mob of citizens which imply they live in the kingdom, but are mad that their leader  has died, which is the king. So their now trying to take over the kingdom to get revenge on the king (who Is already dead) because they killed their leader ( who is the king).

I then chase one singular man who is running away. And when I catch up to him in a large house and  he's tied up.

Now he's tied to a chair which is odd. And only out of my benevolence I let him go after I was dedicated to chasing him. 

And he's not going to tell anyone about me which is odd since I'm not sure who he's planning to tell. 

I know I phrased the 2nd story differently but thats the only way I thought of to convey how Incohesive and confusing the 2nd one is compared to the first one is. 

Please take with a grain of salt, just my opinion on the 2 stories

Story 1:   you, you, you, you.  Not great storytelling

Story 2: the large animal that is an animal.  Too many short descriptor sentences. 

Cool project,  still better than Rowling. 

You should probably just write your own story and it's be way better than the 1000 typewriters ai. 

22 minutes ago, Heliian said:

You should probably just write your own story and it's be way better than the 1000 typewriters ai. 

Oh i know, this isn't the normal way i use it, this is just a "give the AI something and let it do everything" so literally worst case scenario as it isn't given a direction.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

The first one reads as if somebody is telling a story to their children and the children keep interrupting to add their own elements to the story.

"You turn around and see a man"

Kid: "And he has wrinkly skin"

another kid: "And he smells"

It seems like a group of people are brainstorming ideas for a story. In some ways it reads more like a screenplay with the way actions are described.

I would say the first one is better at writing a story as it seems to at least be able to form a plot and follow it, even if the writing is a little off. You go to the forest and find some dead knights, a mysterious person explains that there is a danger and you need to go on a quest to defeat the dragon from the initial prompt but the main character is unsure if they can trust this person. I would continue reading to see where the story goes.

The second one looks like there's no cohesion to the story and it just moves from one point to another. This happens. Then as a result this happens. Then as a result this happens. Then this happens. Then this happens. Basically seems like the AI is not able to remember anything that happened in the sentence prior to the last.

When you arrive you see that the king has been murdered. A mob of angry citizens is trying to take control of the city. They tell you that they want revenge against the king for killing their leader.

It already forgot that the king is dead after just one sentence and is now saying that they are trying to take over the city because they want (not past tense) revenge against the king.

As you watch them you notice a man running away from the crowd. You run after him and catch up to him just as he enters a large building. You follow him inside and see that he has been tied to a chair.

You are running after somebody and chase them in to a building but when you enter the building they're alone and tied to a chair? There's no consistency.

The second story doesn't go anywhere and there's no development, only a series of events being recounted. The prompt is that you need to fight a dragon. You find the dragon. You can't beat the dragon. You fall down a cliff. You land. You wake up. You see somebody. They talk to you. They give you something. You go with them. Time passes. You go to a castle. The king is dead. There is a mob. The mob wants to kill the king. There is a man running. You chase the man. The man is now tied up. You untie the man.
The second story completely forgets that there is a dragon after the initial prompt and diverges off in to whatever story the last sentence prompted. There's no point continuing to read the second story because by the end they're going to end up as colonists on the moon in the 34th century and you'll be thinking "wasn't there meant to be a dragon in this?".

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Honestly, I've read far worse human-generated fiction than either one of those.

I liked 1 better. It tends to ramble, go off on a tangent, and write in circles, but it reads like an early worldbuilding chapter. 2 reads like a middle school creative writing assignment that was cranked out on the bus the morning it's due.

Just for fun, here's story 1 with a little amateur copy editing:

Spoiler

You are Arika, a knight living in the kingdom of Larion. You have a steel longsword and a wooden shield. You are on a quest to defeat the evil dragon of Larion. You've heard he lives up at the north of the kingdom. You set on the path to defeat him and walk into a dark forest. As you enter the forest you see a pile of dead knights.

"Who could have done this? I must find out who did this!" You say as you continue walking through the forest. You hear a noise coming from behind you, and turn around ready for anything. You see an old man wearing dark clothes.

The man smiles at you. He says "Hello, Arika."

You stare at the old man, trying to figure out what is going on, then ask "How do you know my name?"

"My son, Ares, told me. He was watching over you when you entered the forest. He knew that you were going to find me. My name is Ephus, I am king of the gods. You must defeat the dragon of Larion and free the people of my kingdom. It will be difficult, but we are almost out of time. Our last chance is to use the power of the gods. The gods gave you their powers. They will remain with you until you complete your quest. If you fail, they will take them back and leave you alone. Your soul will belong to me, if you accept the offer I made you. You will become a great warrior and help me defeat the dragon. That will give me enough power to defeat the dragon. Once I free my kingdom, I will return the favor and restore the gods to their rightful place. They will then be able to protect the world again."

You look at Ephus and think about what he said for a moment.

"Alright, I'll do it! But only if you promise to stay with me until we finish. I don't want you to skip out on our deal."

Anything I added from scratch is in bold, but I didn't mark the punctuation and capitalization changes I made. Other than that, it's all Story 1's text chopped up and moved around.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.