Windows 8 wont play MKV files

hello for a while now ive been trying to play mkv files like movies/tv shows. Its thumbnail is a microsoft word logo so when i launch it it goes to word very annoying it used to work but i must have touched something somewhere and cant find it please help

If it doesn't launch, you could try downloading VLC media player, or right click on the file, go to something under the lines of "Select Program to Open" and select whatever program you use.

PC Specs:

New Compact Build

CPU: i7 8700k (Delidded)  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti ACX 3.0 Black  |  Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming  |  Case: EVGA Hadron Air    

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz  |  SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB  |  Monitor: ASUS PB287Q

OS: Windows 10  |  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus  |  Headphones: Steelseries Arctis 5

Surface Book 2 15"

CPU: i7 8650U  |  GPU: GTX 1060M  |  RAM: 16GB DDR3

Use VLC, also I recommend installing shark007's codec.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

If it doesn't launch, you could try downloading VLC media player, or right click on the file, go to something under the lines of "Select Program to Open" and select whatever program you use.

I've tried VLC media player same issue 

hello for a while now ive been trying to play mkv files like movies/tv shows. Its thumbnail is a microsoft word logo so when i launch it it goes to word very annoying it used to work but i must have touched something somewhere and cant find it please help

smoothvideoproject(SVP) has all the codecs and has frame interpolation. Search SVP +MadVR. It's legit. It's the best way to watch movies, and though I don't watch anime; I've tried it with double interpolation. It looks dope!

It comes with Media Player Classic. You would want to associate all video files to play there by default. Even home videos look cool. And everything can be toggled off in the taskbar.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

You mention that MKV files used to work, but now open in Word.  It sounds like the default program association has changed or been lost, or maybe the player you used has been uninstalled.

Do you recall what program you previously used to open the files?

Try this... (This is for Windows 7)

Click the Start button

In the search box type 'default' (no quotes)

A bunch of results should appear.  Look for the entry under 'Control Panel' that says 'Set your default programs'. Click it.

Have a look down the list that appears and see if any of those programs look familiar to the one you used to open MKV files. (For example is there an entry for VLC media player or Media Player Classic?)

If none look familiar, then select Windows Media Player

Then click 'Choose defaults for this program'

Scroll down the list until you find .mkv.  It will tell you the current default (sounds like it is MS Word, or no association)  NOTE: If the association already shows something different, like VLC, then you may need to check that program works, and maybe reinstall it first, and ignore the steps below)

Click the checkbox next to .mkv. Then click save

Try opening the MKV file.

If it works... Great.  If not, you need to either follow the above steps, but look for another media player. Or follow the advice given above to install a different player / codec. Windows Media Player and Quicktime don't support MKV files out of the box so I'm hoping that because you previously were able to open MKV files that you may have codecs installed.

You mention that MKV files used to work, but now open in Word.  It sounds like the default program association has changed or been lost, or maybe the player you used has been uninstalled.

Do you recall what program you previously used to open the files?

Try this... (This is for Windows 7)

Click the Start button

In the search box type 'default' (no quotes)

A bunch of results should appear.  Look for the entry under 'Control Panel' that says 'Set your default programs'. Click it.

Have a look down the list that appears and see if any of those programs look familiar to the one you used to open MKV files. (For example is there an entry for VLC media player or Media Player Classic?)

If none look familiar, then select Windows Media Player

Then click 'Choose defaults for this program'

Scroll down the list until you find .mkv.  It will tell you the current default (sounds like it is MS Word, or no association)  NOTE: If the association already shows something different, like VLC, then you may need to check that program works, and maybe reinstall it first, and ignore the steps below)

Click the checkbox next to .mkv. Then click save

Try opening the MKV file.

If it works... Great.  If not, you need to either follow the above steps, but look for another media player. Or follow the advice given above to install a different player / codec. Windows Media Player and Quicktime don't support MKV files out of the box so I'm hoping that because you previously were able to open MKV files that you may have codecs installed.

When i got to the 'Set associations for a program' page .mkv was not there