BSOD Associated with ntoskrnl.exe (and Potentially RAM)

GrannyDane

Starting from 2 days ago, my PC wouldn't stay up for more than an hour before spitting out a BSOD and restarting. Sometimes it will refuse to boot at all. I noticed that most of them were associated with ntoskrnl.exe, sometimes with other system files. A quick Googling suggested it could be a driver issue, but I couldn't be sure which driver could be causing the issue. I updated the chipset driver, the graphics driver, the ethernet port driver, and I updated the BIOS as well, none of which made any difference.

The only thing that seemed to make a difference was disabling XMP, since I didn't see any BSOD with it disabled. Although this led me to believe either my RAM or motherboard is causing the issue, I remembered that I didn't have this issue on my Windows to Go (which I used for several hours after I started having this issue), even with XMP enabled. It did refuse to boot until I disabled secure boot though, which didn't happen before.

I have 2 sticks of 8GB RAM running in dual-channel, and I tried running one of them at a time by itself to see if a particular stick is causing the issue. Unfortunately, I got BSODs within 10 minutes with either of the sticks.

To recap:

• Most minidumps mention ntoskrnl.exe
  • No luck with several drivers and BIOS update
  • No BSOD with XMP off (Win11)
  • No BSOD on Windows to Go (Win10) even with XMP
  • BSOD with only either one of the sticks installed

Does anyone have any idea how I should proceed with my troubleshooting? Feel free to request more information if you see necessary.

Here's the link to the minidumps from today's BSODs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Af__BH0tFK7Yccv5fCCBChGH9zsFyF-q?usp=sharing

I wish I also had ones from before, but they're gone from the minidump folder for some reason.

Here's my PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: GTX 1080

MB: Gigabyte B450M DS3H

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz 8GB x 2 kit (F4-3200C16D-16GTZB)

OS Installed Storage: Samsung 980 Evo

Quick update: never mind about the Windows to Go thingy. I just tried it again and it crashed within 5 minutes. I guess I had a really lucky day that time.

Another update: now disabling XMP doesn’t stop it either.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is pretty old, but I'll give my final update in case anyone with the same issue ends up here. The problem was my CPU, Ryzen 5 3600 that's a little under 5 years old. Replacing it solved the problem.