Graphics card is dead... I think. is there any chance it's something else?

teddyteddyteddy

So I think my graphics card (XFX r9 390) is dying, but I'm looking for advice on this. If I had any other gpu's or other computer parts to switch out and test, I'd do that but I don't have any spare parts. 

I've had a lot of driver issues in the past, causing blue screens that show graphics driver error messages. this past year has been better though, until now.

A few nights ago my computer shut down while in the middle of a game, and now Windows 10 won't start. My computer powers on, the motherboard logo shows up with red bars/artifacts all over the screen, and then it just goes to a black screen. One time it got to the "Startup Repair" screen, but I wasn't able to fix anything from there. Also, the fans on the card aren't starting up either anymore. everything else in the case appears to be getting power and working fine. 

I've had the card since 2017 or 2018, never overclocked it or anything. I've checked all connections inside and outside the case. I've gone through a number of troubleshooting steps online but nothing has helped yet. 

I'm about ready to order a new card but don't want to waste the money if it could be something else. I hope this isn't a dumb question!

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

2 minutes ago, teddyteddyteddy said:

My computer powers on, the motherboard logo shows up with red bars/artifacts all over the screen, and then it just goes to a black screen

If this is what's happening, there's only two possible scenarios for this card:

1. The vBIOS is corrupted (unlikely but repairable if you've got a second GPU) 
  2. The memory and/or interposed is dead. 

Basically no matter what you need to start looking for a new GPU, either a card for $5 that will let you attempt to flash the vBIOS or just an upgrade all together. 

16 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

I did some googling and apparently the XFX r9 390 has a BIOS switch, if @RONOTHAN##is right, it could still work on the other profile, I think...?

Yup, forgot to check if that card has dual bios, if a bad vBIOS is the problem that should fix it. 

30 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

I did some googling and apparently the XFX r9 390 has a BIOS switch, if @RONOTHAN##is right, it could still work on the other profile, I think...?

13 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yup, forgot to check if that card has dual bios, if a bad vBIOS is the problem that should fix it. 

Didn't even know that switch was there. I tried it, but unfortunately with the switch flipped nothing displays on the screen, not even the motherboard logo, and the card's fans still don't move 

XEON E3 1231v3 | GA-Z97MX GAMING 5 | XFX R9 290 | 16GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX100 256GB | WD BLUE 1TB | EVGA SUPERNOVA 850W | CORSAIR 350D

1 minute ago, teddyteddyteddy said:

Didn't even know that switch was there. I tried it, but unfortunately with the switch flipped nothing displays on the screen, not even the motherboard logo, and the card's fans still don't move 

Then the card is unfortunately dead.