Reapplying thermal paste on an rtx 2070 super

DangeorusToast

I have had a Gigabyte 2070 Super OC 3X version, and I was wondering if I have to look out for anything while reapplying thermal paste. It seems straight forward, but I don't want to make any mistake. I'm familiar with doing this with cpus but haven't done the gpu yet.

TLDR: Is it really just as simple as unscrewing the screws on the back?

First off, Get some sort of magnetic tray, or some sort of organizer cause the 2000 series GPUS had an absolute TON of screws and you want to make sure you put them back EXACTLY as they were. Also i reccomend taking pictures of the back of the card before and after, to make sure all screws are in their proper places 🙂

Generally when taking a gpu apart theres 2 things to keep an eye on, the fan cables, and the thermal pads. You do not want either to break so be gentle when prying the card open, and make sure you properly disconnect the fan cable, and make sure to not shred the thermal pads. 

Id recommend you find a video of some one taking your exact model apart so you can have an easier time understanding exatly what you have to do 🙂

As above, but a simple trick I use to keep track of the screws:

1. Lay the video card on a blank sheet of paper, then trace around your video card to create an outline.
  2. Then flip it so the I/O plate is on the sheet, and trace that on a blank space.
  3. Repeat this as needed for each side of the shroud if you anticipate screws there.
  4. Next take note of where eat screw is located on the back plate, then draw circles corresponding to each of those spots on your sketch.

Now as you physically remove the screws from the video card, you can place them into their corresponding circles on your reference outline/s to keep track of them. Take care not to bump your reference sheet or the little suckers will start to roll away. 

Yes, this is basically a poor man's mod mat. 🤣

1 hour ago, DangeorusToast said:

I have had a Gigabyte 2070 Super OC 3X version, and I was wondering if I have to look out for anything while reapplying thermal paste. It seems straight forward, but I don't want to make any mistake. I'm familiar with doing this with cpus but haven't done the gpu yet.

TLDR: Is it really just as simple as unscrewing the screws on the back?

Make sure the WHOLE DIE (the square of silicon) has coverage of thermal paste, aka dont just do a dab in the centre like most CPU thermal paste jobs. GPUs need full die coverage.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

23 hours ago, Shimejii said:

First off, Get some sort of magnetic tray, or some sort of organizer cause the 2000 series GPUS had an absolute TON of screws and you want to make sure you put them back EXACTLY as they were. Also i reccomend taking pictures of the back of the card before and after, to make sure all screws are in their proper places 🙂

Generally when taking a gpu apart theres 2 things to keep an eye on, the fan cables, and the thermal pads. You do not want either to break so be gentle when prying the card open, and make sure you properly disconnect the fan cable, and make sure to not shred the thermal pads. 

Id recommend you find a video of some one taking your exact model apart so you can have an easier time understanding exatly what you have to do 🙂

I'm going to get some extra thermal pads just in case. What thickness should they be? 1mm? I saw a video of a guy taking the card apart, doesn't seem too difficult, I'll just proceed slowly and I'll probably just have to remove the back plate.

(edit: I think it's .5mm VRAM, 1mm VRM, and 2mm for the back plate, where can I find our for sure if you happen to know.)

22 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Make sure the WHOLE DIE (the square of silicon) has coverage of thermal paste, aka dont just do a dab in the centre like most CPU thermal paste jobs. GPUs need full die coverage.

Thanks for the great response, I needed this info. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm ordering calipers and thermal pads. I'll get this done when I get them. Thanks for all the responses.

When reassembling the card be careful with how much torque you use on the screws around the die. Usually gpus don't have stops to tell you when you're done tightening and if you overdo it you risk cracking the die.