GPU passthrough on Chinese X99

RasmusDC

Have one of these Huananzhi X99 boards with a 2690V4 (28thread) and 256Gb

i actually love it as a "proxmox" server, but Plex is hitting me hard, so i did a testrun with a 660gtx, with all the guides i could do, i seem to get the card to be a device on the VM but cannot start with it, i don´t know why.

Should it not be doable on these 2690V4´s i just want  to be sure before i put a 3050 in it (yeah sucky card, but has 8Gig of ram so a transcoding monster, compared to a 1660)

i´ve been looking at alternatives, but seriously getting a board with enough PCI lanes for my controllers + 10gbe + at least 28 threads, is not a "cheap" solution, although i have a 64core Epyc lined up with some wierd SuperMicro board. but i would just like to  get this to work, so i can limit the thread count on my plex linux server, and get my son´s Minecraft servers running again. the homeautomation and others, seems to be working quite fine.

The issue with those cheap Chinese X99 boards is that they don't usually have all the options you need in order to enable something like this. In order for this to work, you need IOMMU/Intel VT-D enabled, and on some of these boards that option just doesn't exist. You might be able to get it to work with doing BIOS mods, but those chinese boards have BIOSes that are unstable enough as it is that doing modifying the BIOS isn't exactly a great solution. 

57 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The issue with those cheap Chinese X99 boards is that they don't usually have all the options you need in order to enable something like this. In order for this to work, you need IOMMU/Intel VT-D enabled, and on some of these boards that option just doesn't exist. You might be able to get it to work with doing BIOS mods, but those chinese boards have BIOSes that are unstable enough as it is that doing modifying the BIOS isn't exactly a great solution. 

i have IOMMU and VT-D enabled, it is also not the error, that is the wierd part + craft computing did it on the excact same board, but i get the issues. but 2011-3 boards are still quite expensive. 

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2022 at 3:58 AM, RasmusDC said:

i have IOMMU and VT-D enabled, it is also not the error, that is the wierd part + craft computing did it on the excact same board, but i get the issues. but 2011-3 boards are still quite expensive. 

I intend to buy an x99 MR9A Pro Motherboard from Machinist to use with Proxmox, can I do the GPU passthrough on it? Did you find out if there is a way?

On 11/17/2023 at 1:26 AM, gCosta said:

I intend to buy an x99 MR9A Pro Motherboard from Machinist to use with Proxmox, can I do the GPU passthrough on it? Did you find out if there is a way?

no.. i think it works, because i can see it in proxmox, and it does stuff... but gave up in the end, have an EBAY EPIC as a server with an ASROCK motherboard, that seems to just work for me.