Aimesh setup suggestions/questions

jcenteno1287

Hi all... my name is Jimmy... here trying to learn and find tips on how to better manage my collection of random ASUS and ROG wifi routers..

I have a 2200 sq foot house (single level) the main router is inside of a "media closet" in my bathroom closet...I have 960mbps fiber internet from Century link. signal was weak at the opposite side so I replace the century link provide router with a RT-AX86U. This improved the connection but then I learned about Aimesh and was able to find a ROG GS-AX5400 for cheap on Facebook marketplace and added it (wired from the RT-AX86U) to the opposite side of the house. With this setup things improved but download speeds on the other ends of the house is weak. I got a RT-AX82U and a GT-AX11000 from a friend and decided to try the AX82U into the Aimesh wirelessly in my garage... which quite frankly doesn't work that well (half the time it doesn't even show connected).

RT-AX86U (current main router)
GS-AX5400 (wired into the 86u as a node)
RT-AX82U (wireless and not working well)
GT-AX11000 not added into the mix YET.

Now the question is... with the current random list of routers which one should I have as the main one? I just finished hardwiring 2 new location on the house with cat6 so I will have 3 other locations where I can add hardwired routers to cover the whole house.

Should I just sell the routers I got and just get 3 of the same model for nodes? would this make my setup more stable?

Thanks for the help! 

12 minutes ago, jcenteno1287 said:

Hi all... my name is Jimmy... here trying to learn and find tips on how to better manage my collection of random ASUS and ROG wifi routers..

I have a 2200 sq foot house (single level) the main router is inside of a "media closet" in my bathroom closet...I have 960mbps fiber internet from Century link. signal was weak at the opposite side so I replace the century link provide router with a RT-AX86U. This improved the connection but then I learned about Aimesh and was able to find a ROG GS-AX5400 for cheap on Facebook marketplace and added it (wired from the RT-AX86U) to the opposite side of the house. With this setup things improved but download speeds on the other ends of the house is weak. I got a RT-AX82U and a GT-AX11000 from a friend and decided to try the AX82U into the Aimesh wirelessly in my garage... which quite frankly doesn't work that well (half the time it doesn't even show connected).

RT-AX86U (current main router)
GS-AX5400 (wired into the 86u as a node)
RT-AX82U (wireless and not working well)
GT-AX11000 not added into the mix YET.

Now the question is... with the current random list of routers which one should I have as the main one? I just finished hardwiring 2 new location on the house with cat6 so I will have 3 other locations where I can add hardwired routers to cover the whole house.

Should I just sell the routers I got and just get 3 of the same model for nodes? would this make my setup more stable?

Thanks for the help! 

You're probably placing the wireless node at the very limit of the wifi coverage or too close to the other node.
Me, I'd use the AX11000 as the main.

My brother uses 3 RT-AC59U, the third node is at his bedroom, but since it can still reach the main node (2nd floor) albeit with orange/red line in the ASUS app.
Sometimes it switch to connecting to the main instead to the 2nd node (which is closer to it, green line)
Apparently, AIMesh (atleast for my brother's unit) can't choose which node is better.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.