Upgrade help

Budget (including currency): 1500 CAD

Country: I'm from the Great White North, right, like up above the States
The big land mass that the rest of the world hates
Well we're like, above that, fuckin' north I guess
The big patch of trees where everybody's bored to death
We're just chillin' up here, sippin' syrup, playin' hockey

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Microsurvey, Apex, CS, grimdawn 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I have a 2200G system now, with 8 GB ram, b350m mobo, 500 watt PSU and no GPU and a good case.  i am a Geomatic engineer, so i travel a lot. 

What should i upgrade? should i just get a steam deck? 

Thank you 

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Well if you intend to use the system for more than gaming, might as well get a gaming laptop.

Any budget?

1500 CAD for now but can go up to 2500$, what laptop should i get? It needs to be happy being in a truck going across canada. 

2 hours ago, ItsYaBoyMilan-X said:

1500 CAD for now but can go up to 2500$, what laptop should i get? It needs to be happy being in a truck going across canada. 

Might ask @Schnoz here... might know a bit more, but I believe that ROG laptops are pretty good? 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Might ask @Schnoz here... might know a bit more, but I believe that ROG laptops are pretty good? 

i need something that doesn't scream gamer

i need something that doesn't scream gamer

Then, a Dell Precision perhaps. High performance, and they don't look like gaming laptops.

I believe some Inspiron laptops have discrete GPUs? Or if XPS laptops are still around they do as well. 

Otherwise, just use a normal laptop + Steam Deck as you were saying.

12 minutes ago, ItsYaBoyMilan-X said:

sould i just get a steam deck? 

Just a word of warning on this. I love my steam deck. However if you play a lot of games that aren’t shooters and require a lot of keybinds it’s very difficult to get the games to work right unless you use a kb/mouse anyways. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Otherwise, just use a normal laptop + Steam Deck as you were saying.

Yeah, looking at a P14s( adding 32GB ram after to make it 48). 

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Just a word of warning on this. I love my steam deck. However if you play a lot of games that aren’t shooters and require a lot of keybinds it’s very difficult to get the games to work right unless you use a kb/mouse anyways. 

I am not really a rolla player, how is the steam deck overall, any issues,/ complaints? is it worth hooking a keeb and mouse to it?

Yeah, looking at a P14s( adding 32GB ram after to make it 48). 

I am not really a rolla player, how is the steam deck overall, any issues,/ complaints? is it worth hooking a keeb and mouse to it?

Oh nice, mobile workstation route. Can't argue with that!

Not a Deck owner myself, but I have a friend who owns one and he's let me use it a little. It feels good in the hand but as someone who's never used a controller the analogue sticks were a bit hard to get used to. If you're going for portability but want a kb/mouse might as well just use a laptop IMO.

11 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I think this would be great for you: the 2022 Lenovo Thinkpad P16s. It's currently selling for USD $1367 if you use the redeem codes on the site I linked to. It's got good build quality, a very fast CPU, and a decent keyboard, trackpad, and display. The memory is soldered, but with 32GB, you shouldn't have to worry about that for a while.

Thanks 

28 minutes ago, ItsYaBoyMilan-X said:

I enjoy it. I also travel a lot for work. With the size of the deck I don’t have a good way to fit a kb/m into my carry on and don’t want to add a second bag to what I have to carry. Because of that I haven’t tried yet. 
I did accidentally test how durable they are. I had mine in my backpack and a bottle of scotch popped open. Battery was dead when it happened so no power to anything. Let it sit for about a week(had other things going on) and it fired right back up. Needs a new screen. Somehow I ended up with liquid in the screen. That’s ordered and ready to replace when it shows up, but still usable. 
I don’t play much for shooters though and still working on getting emulators and all that set up on the Linux side. I got it then went to work for 2 weeks then have been out of the country so I haven’t had all the time in the world to get it how I want yet. 
I don’t regret it. It is a lot larger than a switch. It’s deceivingly large until you hold it. Videos don’t do the size justice. As much as I like the screen, it’s a little bigger overall than I would completely like. It’s big enough that TSA makes me take it out of the bag when I can’t go through the precheck line(first flight back in the states from being over seas)

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?