Cloned NVME M.2 SSD fails to boot

cleric_warlock

I've been trying to clone the boot drive (Samsung 512 GB) of my Corsair One i160 to a sabrent rocket 4TB SSD and so far the cloning process actually seems to be running as its supposed to, but the cloned rocket SSD immediately goes to a BSOD on start up when replaced into the boot drive NVME socket. I've been using the trial version of Macrium Reflect to do the cloning and have been having a very hard time trying to figure out what's wrong.

I have confirmed that hardware compatibility is not the issue as when my rocket SSD drive is installed as a boot drive and configured with a fresh copy of windows 11, my system works perfectly fine. Doing it this way is undesirable because cloning is the only way to transfer the OEM windows license on my original SSD along with all of my loaded programs and configurations. I have detailed screenshots relating to this problem in the imgur link below. How do I get my cloned SSD to boot?

https://imgur.com/a/TRbZ0mz

Current PC:

• CPU
    Intel i9-12900KS
  • Motherboard
    Asus Rog Maximus Z690 Hero
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6600 MT/s, 2 x 16GB, (CL32-39-39-76, 1.40V), CMK32GX5M2X6600C32 for gaming or
    G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5-6000 MT/s, 2 x 32GB, (CL30-40-40-96, 1.40V), F5-6000J3040G32GX2-RS5K for heavy multitasking
  • GPU
    Aorus Xtreme Waterforce RTX 3090 TI
  • Case
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
  • Storage
    2 x 2TB WD Black sn850 SSDs
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1600W P2, Fully Modular
  • Display(s)
    34" 1900R Alienware AW3418DW Black, 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420, Built in 360mm gpu rad, 7 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14's (4 used as full case fan set, 3 used to upgrade CPU rad fans), 4 x 120mm Noctua NF-F12's (3 used to upgrade GPU rad stock fans, 1 used to fill last remaining case fan slot)
  • Keyboard
    Fidio Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Asus Rog Spatha X
  • Sound
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Game DAC Wired Headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

I've never been able to get cloned drives to work, and I imagine most people would recommend you do a fresh reinstall on the new boot SSD (even though you would prefer not to).

You can actually disable a Windows license and re-use it on a new computer. I've done that with my Dell pre-built and transferred the license to my custom build. I don't fully remember how to do it but it required using command terminal. I don't remember the article I used since I've only ever done it two times in the past few years.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

2 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

I've never been able to get cloned drives to work, and I imagine most people would recommend you do a fresh reinstall on the new boot SSD (even though you would prefer not to).

You can actually disable a Windows license and re-use it on a new computer. I've done that with my Dell pre-built and transferred the license to my custom build. I don't fully remember how to do it but it required using command terminal. I don't remember the article I used since I've only ever done it two times in the past few years.

do you remember if the license you transferred was specifically OEM?

Current PC:

• CPU
    Intel i9-12900KS
  • Motherboard
    Asus Rog Maximus Z690 Hero
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6600 MT/s, 2 x 16GB, (CL32-39-39-76, 1.40V), CMK32GX5M2X6600C32 for gaming or
    G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5-6000 MT/s, 2 x 32GB, (CL30-40-40-96, 1.40V), F5-6000J3040G32GX2-RS5K for heavy multitasking
  • GPU
    Aorus Xtreme Waterforce RTX 3090 TI
  • Case
    Corsair 7000D Airflow
  • Storage
    2 x 2TB WD Black sn850 SSDs
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1600W P2, Fully Modular
  • Display(s)
    34" 1900R Alienware AW3418DW Black, 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz
  • Cooling
    Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 420, Built in 360mm gpu rad, 7 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14's (4 used as full case fan set, 3 used to upgrade CPU rad fans), 4 x 120mm Noctua NF-F12's (3 used to upgrade GPU rad stock fans, 1 used to fill last remaining case fan slot)
  • Keyboard
    Fidio Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Asus Rog Spatha X
  • Sound
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro + Game DAC Wired Headset
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

9 minutes ago, cleric_warlock said:

I think it's a fair assumption it was OEM.

The pre-built desktop didn't come with any documentation of what the Windows key was, and my online Dell account didn't have the information anywhere either.

| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

15 minutes ago, cleric_warlock said:

4 minutes ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

I think it's a fair assumption it was OEM.

The pre-built desktop didn't come with any documentation of what the Windows key was, and my online Dell account didn't have the information anywhere either.

I believe I used this article.

Once I found the Windows key, I saved it to a Text file. De-activated the license.

Then during setup of the new HDD, I input the license during install and there have been no issues since.

My custom built shares zero parts from the Dell pre-built.