Help needed with my old gpu

Badpcman

Hello, I got a r9 270x gpu that wasnt making display it was blaring black screens in and out and now that I have taken it apart and change the thermal paste I received an Image but not the kind I expected. When I took apart the gpu I saw 2 things that concerned me, first was the transistors I think they are where the thermal pads lie on.

The board area around them was a different color but nothing like corrosion I don't think at least I forgot to take a picture before I put it together but anyway also one of the small rectangular things that are on the board is not positioned straight it is kind of diagonal how to say and the sadder on the other side looks weird I have a picture of that.

Apart from that I do not think I have integrated graphics because before I changed the thermal paste there was no picture it was just as if windows was going to start the black screen but a little bit brighter so to say.

It's my first time doing anything to a pc apart from assembling it and changing the thermal paste on the cpu.

Oh and the fans spin graphic card looks like its working, I did not install the drivers because I forgor, and I did not change the graphic card bios which I was thinking of doing.

The thing under the gpu in the picture is the other gpu that I tested that works in the same pcie where this one is plugged in.

Also here is the link to what I managed to record of it:

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

If you have a little bit of a budget (Like 150) I would just recommend getting a used 1660 or Radeon Equivalent (5500 XT) or better it would blow the 270x out of the water. If it's worth saving to you. Cleaning, BIOS update (If you do have onboard and know what youre doing.), Fresh Thermal Paste/Pad might do it good. First I would check soldering points, wires, fans. The board flex you showed in the pictures should be fine dose not look that bad. Worse case scenario it's the RAM or GPU Die. When artifacts happen it's probably RAM related make sure they are cool. Good Luck!

Also try different cables or inputs. Could be bad connector/cable.

15 hours ago, VesperMoirai said:

Also try different cables or inputs. Could be bad connector/cable.

Hey thanks for the response, I already have a system and enough money to buy a 3070ti I've been saving up, but over the summer I go to a different place where I use my laptop for gaming it has a gtx 1650 but I wanted to see if I can repair this gpu so I can sell it, I have a gtx 560 I think that I am using and the 6 pin connector for it seems fine unless the other 6 pin is not working. I unfortunately did not bring a mutli-meter with me so I couldn't check for any shortages or something similar but yeah I am probably going to install BIOS on it and if that doesnt work I will probably sell it as not working.

Fair enough. People will buy and fix them either flip them If broke and can fix or use them as cheap monitor extensions. Just to collect as well. I want to get 2 Fury Nanos on water in my collection at some point. Always thought those were really cool. Was admirable in the games that still supported CrossFire. May it rest in peace. GL friend. Maybe someone is the same with the other R9s.

So you're sure you're getting graphical output to the monitor? I assume you've tried manually installing the 270x drivers correct?

8 hours ago, VesperMoirai said:

Fair enough. People will buy and fix them either flip them If broke and can fix or use them as cheap monitor extensions. Just to collect as well. I want to get 2 Fury Nanos on water in my collection at some point. Always thought those were really cool. Was admirable in the games that still supported CrossFire. May it rest in peace. GL friend. Maybe someone is the same with the other R9s.

Thank you very much best of luck to you too

2 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

So you're sure you're getting graphical output to the monitor? I assume you've tried manually installing the 270x drivers correct?

No I have not installed any drivers on it

2 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

But even without the drivers task manager should still recognize the gpu? Have you seen the video I also linked?

2 hours ago, VesperMoirai said:

Windows Basic drivers should still show a output.

Before I changed the thermal paste/tried booting the pc without a gpu there was no image only a black screen

On 7/3/2022 at 4:39 PM, Badpcman said:

Before I changed the thermal paste/tried booting the pc without a gpu there was no image only a black screen

What CPU you have? Might not be any onboard graphics.