Overclocking for Efficiency ?

So did a little tinkering to  work out (for me) what I think my optimal daily driver settings are as opposed to going for "Balls to the wall" chasing numbers.

Looks like my winner is the green line.

Small performance uplift , lower temps
(and yes I'm lazy, all done from Ryzen Master)

1997949565_Screenshot2022-06-30062916.thumb.jpg.075df128562537f9a63b67d07b60cd36.jpg

I think best efficiency on modern system is slight downclock + undervolt on the cpu and gpu and overclock the balls off ram and vram to compensate

I mean you have ballistix which can do ludicrous speeds (4600+) depending on ic and config though you havent really said what model it is and what config, newer ballistix even if dual rank should atleast be capable of 4000 so either you got a really old ballistix sport kit with garbage ic and/or quad rank or you just used some mobo auto ram oc profile

@Somerandomtechyboi TBH I didn't really try pushing it (and also my first little foray into looking at it) and it was set manually based on some random suggestions ;o)

The actual Ram is Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G30C15U4B

Mobo for reference is a Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite

1 hour ago, mikeyw64 said:

@Somerandomtechyboi TBH I didn't really try pushing it (and also my first little foray into looking at it) and it was set manually based on some random suggestions ;o)

The actual Ram is Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G30C15U4B

Mobo for reference is a Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite

4x16 config? Its still dual rank just 4 single sided sticks instead of 2 dual sided sticks

You should be able to do at the very least 3600 since rev e is very light on the imc though i doubt itd do much more than 4000 cause board is pretty crap, im pretty sure someone has profiles for 3600 c14 for whatever micron ic you have just look for it online, since micron is very consistent you should be able to just plug and play, i also suggest checking thaiphoon burner to see what ics you have, 16gbit rev b is prefferable, 16gbit rev e is pretty sht (worse than 8gbit rev e)

max 1.5v if you are running w/o fan due to heat issues, guaranteed safe 1.6v as there are kits with xmp of 1.6v that use volt tolerant ics (djr, b die, rev e/b, etc.) Id advise against going over 1.7v even with fan just to make sure the imc doesnt degrade. Though unlikely youll need over 1.5v unless you are trying to run 3800+ c14, apparently these micron ics can benifit from lower vttddr so you can run it default (half of ram volt) or abit below default (-100 - -200mv below default vttddr depending on ram volt aka ~700mv) though this is trial and error based and every stick is different

I suggest looking at github ddr4 oc tutorial as that has a decent amount of info to get a newbie started, also look at buildzoid vids as he has made some ballistix oc vids though those can last upto an hour so listen to those in the background or something. For ram oc references you can look for some online on other forums

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

4x16 config? Its still dual rank just 4 single sided sticks instead of 2 dual sided sticks

You should be able to do at the very least 3600 since rev e is very light on the imc though i doubt itd do much more than 4000 cause board is pretty crap, im pretty sure someone has profiles for 3600 c14 for whatever micron ic you have just look for it online, since micron is very consistent you should be able to just plug and play, i also suggest checking thaiphoon burner to see what ics you have, 16gbit rev b is prefferable, 16gbit rev e is pretty sht (worse than 8gbit rev e)

max 1.5v if you are running w/o fan due to heat issues, guaranteed safe 1.6v as there are kits with xmp of 1.6v that use volt tolerant ics (djr, b die, rev e/b, etc.) Id advise against going over 1.7v even with fan just to make sure the imc doesnt degrade. Though unlikely youll need over 1.5v unless you are trying to run 3800+ c14, apparently these micron ics can benifit from lower vttddr so you can run it default (half of ram volt) or abit below default (-100 - -200mv below default vttddr depending on ram volt aka ~700mv) though this is trial and error based and every stick is different

I suggest looking at github ddr4 oc tutorial as that has a decent amount of info to get a newbie started, also look at buildzoid vids as he has made some ballistix oc vids though those can last upto an hour so listen to those in the background or something. For ram oc references you can look for some online on other forums

Cheers

Its more out of curiosity than anything.

On a daily basis its doing what I need of it

37 minutes ago, mikeyw64 said:

@Somerandomtechyboi

As an FYI this is the Thaipoon output

image.png.d7ece7be3864ce625b80dced26dfe7ad.png

Damn quad rank, pretty horrible config and that is an ic you can find on 2666 bin crucial bare pcb though it looks to be the best 2666 bin ic you can get, doesnt matter here as quad rank is terrible because of how heavy it is on the imc but since rev e is really light on the imc pretty sure 3600 c14 is still doable and you can just take someone elses profile and do some slight detuning or adjustments since new 3200 and up ballistix bins are d9wfl which are better than these 2666 bin rev e though c9bjz is the best of these 2666 bins and 5000+ is still acheivable on these so i doubt youd need to do much detuning