Static like bars across screen while laptop overheats trying to play a game on gaming laptop.

Got an 8th gen i7 w/ gtx 1060 graphics. Been running linux on the system for around 4 months, with it being used every day, and I think the constant usage degraded the system because of lack of hardware compatibility. Put windows back on it and finally tried playing some games yesterday (ravenfield) and it was overheating to dangerous levels (to the point where bars were appearing over the screen.) I have heard a grinding noise from the fans recently as well (its no the hard drive I have an SSD).

What is the problem here? Is it the graphics card, the fans, the processor? I'd like to know before I try to fix the problem myself or give it to someone else to fix. The laptop is old but I don't want to get rid of it.  Cheers!

I'd suggest not using the laptop to prevent further damage. If the fans are grinding there could be contaminants in the laptop itself and I'd suggest opening it up to inspect for any damage. I'd also highly suggest since this laptop is a few years old now that you repaste the cpu and gpu with something like Gelid GC extreme and repad the vrms with K5 pro.

If the fans are dead you might have to contact the original manufacturer to source a replacement.

5 minutes ago, fjSADwhooperborgar said:

Got an 8th gen i7 w/ gtx 1060 graphics. Been running linux on the system for around 4 months, with it being used every day, and I think the constant usage degraded the system because of lack of hardware compatibility. Put windows back on it and finally tried playing some games yesterday (ravenfield) and it was overheating to dangerous levels (to the point where bars were appearing over the screen.) I have heard a grinding noise from the fans recently as well (its no the hard drive I have an SSD).

What is the problem here? Is it the graphics card, the fans, the processor? I'd like to know before I try to fix the problem myself or give it to someone else to fix. The laptop is old but I don't want to get rid of it.  Cheers!

What were your Temperatures and power consumptions like when you were playing games? Also could you please attach your laptop model so that I can compare the power consumptiions and see if they're good? You can measure all that stuff by downloading HWInfo64 and selecting to only show the sensors view (I prefer that one)

Edited by DreamCat04