M.2 not showing up in newer PC

bondoao1

I'm not sure if this should be in this forum or the motherboard forum but here it goes.

I have an older pc as an everyday pc which has an MSI Z97M/4690K platform.

It has been having issues that are mobo related lately, and I recently got a free Dell XPS 8930 (8700 cpu) from my old company that I worked for.

I took the M.2 out of the older PC and put it into the XPS and it is showing no boot device error.

I took the M.2 out of another PC i have with a Z290/6700K platform and it booted in the XPS without issue.

I would like to transfer my M.2 over to the newer PC and not lose any of my data/settings but it seems like there is something preventing it from booting.

Anyone have any ideas why this isn't working?

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

You may need to reinstall Windows 10 or 11 with the drive in the XPS. I know it's not what you want to do.

I transferred my data and OS from an SATA to an M2 and upgraded from Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11 over the same installation. The boot managers were not compatible and CSM was causing issues for me on my Haswell system.

All my troubles went away after a clean install on my system and CSM disabled. I doubt the XPS gives you an option to disable CSM. Based on the 8700k era, the mobo might not even support CSM, and that's likely what was making your Haswell system work.

Sorry man. Luckily thumb drives are cheap now for storing your data.

1 hour ago, bondoao1 said:

I'm not sure if this should be in this forum or the motherboard forum but here it goes.

I have an older pc as an everyday pc which has an MSI Z97M/4690K platform.

It has been having issues that are mobo related lately, and I recently got a free Dell XPS 8930 (8700 cpu) from my old company that I worked for.

I took the M.2 out of the older PC and put it into the XPS and it is showing no boot device error.

I took the M.2 out of another PC i have with a Z290/6700K platform and it booted in the XPS without issue.

I would like to transfer my M.2 over to the newer PC and not lose any of my data/settings but it seems like there is something preventing it from booting.

Anyone have any ideas why this isn't working?

1. What's the first M.2, and what's the 2nd M.2
Just to clarify, are they both SATA M.2 or one of them is nvme, etc.

2. Check whether your EFI file for the first M.2 is actually on the M.2, not on other drive.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

31 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

1. What's the first M.2, and what's the 2nd M.2
Just to clarify, are they both SATA M.2 or one of them is nvme, etc.

2. Check whether your EFI file for the first M.2 is actually on the M.2, not on other drive.

Sorry if there was some confusion in my question.

In my older PC (Z97M mobo) I have a WD Black SN750 nvme with Windows10 installed.

I attempted to use that WD Black SN750 in a newer Dell XPS (8700 cpu), but I would get a no boot device found error. 

I then attempted to use a Samsung 970evo nvme from another PC I have (with a z290/6700k) in the XPS and it booted without issue. 

I was hoping to use the WD Black SN750 in the XPS without having to reinstall windows and other software and settings I use. 

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

Just now, bondoao1 said:

Sorry if there was some confusion in my question.

In my older PC (Z97M mobo) I have a WD Black SN750 nvme with Windows10 installed.

I attempted to use that WD Black SN750 in a newer Dell XPS (8700 cpu), but I would get a no boot device found error. 

I then attempted to use a Samsung 970evo nvme from another PC I have (with a z290/6700k) in the XPS and it booted without issue. 

I was hoping to use the WD Black SN750 in the XPS without having to reinstall windows and other software and settings I use. 

Ah okay, so they're both nvme.
Thanks for the clarification.

Try checking if the WD Black has it's Windows EFI file in it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.