Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RAM Issues.

So I have a Ryzen 9 5900x and Asus Rog Strix b450f gaming Mobo so I know my ram speeds are compatible but for some reason when I set my ram speeds in the BIOS to 3600mhz it won't stick and goes straight back 2666mhz soon as I boot back up, any reason to why this could be happening?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What kit of RAM do you have specifically (model numbers, including version number if it's a Corsair kit)? Also are you enabling XMP or just changing RAM frequency to 3600MHz?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What kit of RAM do you have specifically (model numbers, including version number if it's a Corsair kit)? Also are you enabling XMP or just changing RAM frequency to 3600MHz?

Yes im using XMP, I have ROG BIOS so mine is DOCP but yeh im doing everything how i should be. My Ram is Corsair Vengence rgb pro SL DDR4 3600mhz, 4 8GB sticks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kzoo 2Raw said:

Yes im using XMP, I have ROG BIOS so mine is DOCP but yeh im doing everything how i should be. My Ram is Corsair Vengence rgb pro SL DDR4 3600mhz, 4 8GB sticks. 

How did you get 4x8? Did you actually buy a 4x8GB kit or did you buy 2 2x8GB kits? If it's 2 2x8GB kits it's very possible that you got two different memory ICs on them and they don't particularly play nice at high speeds. Pull all the RAM out and look at the version numbers found on the sticks, if you have 2 dfferent version numbers that's likely your issue and 3200MHz is likely gonna be the most you can hope for. 

 

Also the Strix B450F board you've got isn't known for having the most impressive memory topology out there, even in a 2 DIMM configuration. It's very possible that 4 DIMMs 3600MHz is at or past the limits of that board, so keep that in mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

How did you get 4x8? Did you actually buy a 4x8GB kit or did you buy 2 2x8GB kits? If it's 2 2x8GB kits it's very possible that you got two different memory ICs on them and they don't particularly play nice at high speeds. Pull all the RAM out and look at the version numbers found on the sticks, if you have 2 dfferent version numbers that's likely your issue and 3200MHz is likely gonna be the most you can hope for. 

 

Also the Strix B450F board you've got isn't known for having the most impressive memory topology out there, even in a 2 DIMM configuration. It's very possible that 4 DIMMs 3600MHz is at or past the limits of that board, so keep that in mind.

Yeh I bought 2 different kits, I thought they'd be fine as they're the exact same model of ram but I have tried running at 3200mhz and lower and it does the same thing to me, just resets after boot.. is it possible my BIOS could be outdated or is it definitley a problem with my ram sticks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kzoo 2Raw said:

Yeh I bought 2 different kits, I thought they'd be fine as they're the exact same model of ram but I have tried running at 3200mhz and lower and it does the same thing to me, just resets after boot.. is it possible my BIOS could be outdated or is it definitley a problem with my ram sticks. 

It's can be some sort of BIOS problem, but checking to make sure the RAM is the exact same is definitely quicker than trying to test a couple different BIOS revisions to see one of them can train memory better. 

 

Memory manufacturers do change the memory ICs depending on what they have on hand that can hit a specific bin that day. For 3600MHz CL18, one day you can get Samsung C die, the next you get Hynix DJR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's can be some sort of BIOS problem, but checking to make sure the RAM is the exact same is definitely quicker than trying to test a couple different BIOS revisions to see one of them can train memory better. 

 

Memory manufacturers do change the memory ICs depending on what they have on hand that can hit a specific bin that day. For 3600MHz CL18, one day you can get Samsung C die, the next you get Hynix DJR. 

ok thanks for the help, once ive checked ram ill get back to you to see what other possibilities there could be if my ram is all good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kzoo 2Raw said:

as they're the exact same model of ram

Also the same version?

 

e42corsair_modelsticker(5).jpg.b35ab6925f0c9672f1093eb42b0b81e7.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2022 at 2:35 AM, Kzoo 2Raw said:

ok thanks for the help, once ive checked ram ill get back to you to see what other possibilities there could be if my ram is all good

 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:58 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

It's can be some sort of BIOS problem, but checking to make sure the RAM is the exact same is definitely quicker than trying to test a couple different BIOS revisions to see one of them can train memory better. 

 

Memory manufacturers do change the memory ICs depending on what they have on hand that can hit a specific bin that day. For 3600MHz CL18, one day you can get Samsung C die, the next you get Hynix DJR. 

So I checked my ram and it turns out all 4 sticks are ver 5.30, so I paired them according to serial number, booted up, changed speed and has fixed the issue for now... appreciate the help, thanks! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×