M.2 not detected

SircarrotII
Go to solution Solved by An0maly_76,

Which processor? I've seen a couple instances where BIOS support for a particular processor required limiting PCI device support, or even limiting / dropping support for certain older or newer processors due to BIOS storage constraints. Incidentally, BIOS version 2801 isn't listed anywhere in the list of BIOS updates, they're all 0305 or 0501, and no direct notes about limitations for any of them, so I would call the manufacturer to find out if this is potentially a factor.

For example, someone showed up recently with a nice new 3600 Ryzen on an older A320 board that wouldn't boot with the 3600 even though it had the correct BIOS for the 3600. Reading a little further down the BIOS update list, an older version indicated removing or limiting PCI support for certain devices because the BIOS chips could only hold so much information. Hence, the update (and subsequent others) that supported the 3600 would not recognize or allow certain PCIe devices.

Here's a list of device support updates per the mfr. Seems a new SSD support list was developed just a few months ago.

https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/Z97-A-USB 3-1/HelpDesk_QVL/

I bought a cheap M.2 drive for my old pc so I wouldn't have to use the hard drive as a boot drive. However the PC won't detect the M.2. I put the M.2 in my current PC and it was detected. The M.2 is a Teamgroup MP33 256 GB nvme drive. The motherboard is an Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 with bios version 2801.

Are you certain this is not a SATA vs NVME thing? They are different, and not compatible.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Are you certain this is not a SATA vs NVME thing? They are different, and not compatible.

Yes

Which processor? I've seen a couple instances where BIOS support for a particular processor required limiting PCI device support, or even limiting / dropping support for certain older or newer processors due to BIOS storage constraints. Incidentally, BIOS version 2801 isn't listed anywhere in the list of BIOS updates, they're all 0305 or 0501, and no direct notes about limitations for any of them, so I would call the manufacturer to find out if this is potentially a factor.

For example, someone showed up recently with a nice new 3600 Ryzen on an older A320 board that wouldn't boot with the 3600 even though it had the correct BIOS for the 3600. Reading a little further down the BIOS update list, an older version indicated removing or limiting PCI support for certain devices because the BIOS chips could only hold so much information. Hence, the update (and subsequent others) that supported the 3600 would not recognize or allow certain PCIe devices.

Here's a list of device support updates per the mfr. Seems a new SSD support list was developed just a few months ago.

https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/Z97-A-USB 3-1/HelpDesk_QVL/

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!