cant open .exe files unless I'm using administrator rights on Windows 10.

morst12

Ok next thing to try is using command prompt to try and change these permissions. there might be a bug with the actual window youre using to edit the permissions so if we use command prompt that might help

Open up command prompt and type in the following command replacing the generic name "Chris" with your users name

icacls "C:\Users" /grant Chris:(OI)(CI)F /T

Make sure you run in administrative command prompt.

6 hours ago, Mayday793 said:

Ok next thing to try is using command prompt to try and change these permissions. there might be a bug with the actual window youre using to edit the permissions so if we use command prompt that might help

Open up command prompt and type in the following command replacing the generic name "Chris" with your users name

icacls "C:\Users" /grant Chris:(OI)(CI)F /T

Make sure you run in administrative command prompt.

image.png.4cbb4673815de7d183756d19f1f818c4.png

Just now, morst12 said:

image.png.4cbb4673815de7d183756d19f1f818c4.png

It still doesn't open.

14 minutes ago, morst12 said:

It still doesn't open.

wtf. thats so dumb. I'm quite stumped as to why now. might have another idea tomorrow.

can you go back to the security tab of the users folder and see if anything changed? ideally it should says full control next to it

Also, can you create a blank text file on your desktop, then right click it and go to properties and tell me the exact path to that text file? (you can sensor the user) 
Im wondering if the antivirus might have changed the path of your desktop to be in a different location not in users for some reason. 

One final thing you can try to do it do a system restore to an earlier date if you have system restores set up. 

ANOTHER thing you can do is install the antivirus again and try to get it to give you the permissions back or call their tech support to figure it out why this happened.

1 hour ago, Mayday793 said:

can you go back to the security tab of the users folder and see if anything changed? ideally it should says full control next to it

Also, can you create a blank text file on your desktop, then right click it and go to properties and tell me the exact path to that text file? (you can sensor the user) 
Im wondering if the antivirus might have changed the path of your desktop to be in a different location not in users for some reason. 

One final thing you can try to do it do a system restore to an earlier date if you have system restores set up. 

ANOTHER thing you can do is install the antivirus again and try to get it to give you the permissions back or call their tech support to figure it out why this happened.

I'm at work right now so I will check when I get back home and inform you.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

6 hours ago, morst12 said:

I'm at work right now so I will check when I get back home and inform you.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

image.png.1e677c994a730828fc272fc1babcd767.png and I just checked and there's no difference in the permissions, I also doesn't have a restore from before I installed the Antivirus. a friend of mine said that maybe reinstalling the antivirus and  trying to see where it changes the information there will work.