HP NIC NC552SFP 10Gb not working with SFP (gigabit) switches

Chriexpe

Long story short I installed this NIC on my server (repurposed HP EliteDesk 800 g1) but it seems that isn't compatible with my switch.
I have a TP Link switch SG2218 that is SFP gigabit, the cable that came with that NIC (a mellanox DAC) works perfectly between this switch and another SG2210MP (both are gigabit), but if I connect to this NIC it just doesn't work, lights keep off (but sometimes when I connect the cable a orange light blinks briefly on NIC) with Link Down status, now I'm wondering if the fact of the NIC being SFP+ might be the problem, but shouldn't both sides negotiate the speed? I also forced 1000M Full duplex on my switch SFP port but no success.

The SO on my server is unraid, it recognizes perfectly the NIC and allow me to change ips bridging etc., but it keeps reporting that the ports are disconected, even tho I connected and reconected countless times, rebooted the switch etc.

I installed this board on my PC but windows didn't recognized it, although on bios i got a bit more settings such as speed but it had 4 fields to setup for up and 4 down (0 to 100), but it didn't seemed to work when I modified to 10.

IMG_20220623_103415.jpg

IMG_20220624_141024.jpg

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card

1 hour ago, Chriexpe said:

Long story short I installed this NIC on my server (repurposed HP EliteDesk 800 g1) but it seems that isn't compatible with my switch.
I have a TP Link switch SG2218 that is SFP gigabit, the cable that came with that NIC (a mellanox DAC) works perfectly between this switch and another SG2210MP (both are gigabit), but if I connect to this NIC it just doesn't work, lights keep off (but sometimes when I connect the cable a orange light blinks briefly on NIC) with Link Down status, now I'm wondering if the fact of the NIC being SFP+ might be the problem, but shouldn't both sides negotiate the speed? I also forced 1000M Full duplex on my switch SFP port but no success.

The SO on my server is unraid, it recognizes perfectly the NIC and allow me to change ips bridging etc., but it keeps reporting that the ports are disconected, even tho I connected and reconected countless times, rebooted the switch etc.

I installed this board on my PC but windows didn't recognized it, although on bios i got a bit more settings such as speed but it had 4 fields to setup for up and 4 down (0 to 100), but it didn't seemed to work when I modified to 10.

I don't know about when using a DAC as that may be more problematic, but just a quick Google suggests its not uncommon to have to force the port speed to Gigabit when using SFP+ adapters in SFP ports, so likely the same for DAC.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7