Idiot me caused a spark in PCIE slot

DairyProducts

So my graphics card wasn't working on my new build so I started reseating it as a troubleshooting measure. Once I powered the system on, however, I noticed the card wasn't all the way in, so I pushed it down and clicked it in. However the computer was powered on and there was a little white spark in the PCIE slot/connector area. The card never worked on this board so I don't know if it broke anything. There aren't any burns on the connector on the card but idk about the PCIE slot. Everything else (CPU, RAM, fans and coolers) works fine still. What's the chance something got fried (either the card or the slot)?

is there any plastic burning smell?

either way, you may not have, but is entirely possible that you did. only way is to test the parts 

fried a pair of GPU's once in a similar fashion without thinking. Had attempted to SLI a pair of 8800GTS. Ran all of once before I broke everything.

It was up and running. Benchmarking. but the case was open and the PCI case plate covers on the back were off.

Decided to put them back in while it was running. Hand slipped. the metal bar shorted the two cards to eachother and pPOOOOOF

two dead 8800GTS... smelling of plastic and smoke.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

12 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ive sparked a gpu once by doing that and no issues, though you can confirm with a diff gpu

nah i dont have another card, i do have an other pcie slot though

5 minutes ago, Sprawlie said:

is there any plastic burning smell?

either way, you may not have, but is entirely possible that you did. only way is to test the parts 

fried a pair of GPU's once in a similar fashion without thinking. Had attempted to SLI a pair of 8800GTS. Ran all of once before I broke everything.

It was up and running. Benchmarking. but the case was open and the PCI case plate covers on the back were off.

Decided to put them back in while it was running. Hand slipped. the metal bar shorted the two cards to eachother and pPOOOOOF

two dead 8800GTS... smelling of plastic and smoke.

nah no visible or smell-able burning

12 minutes ago, DairyProducts said:

nah no visible or smell-able burning

Never, ever, EVER move anything inside of a computer that has the power running on!  In fact, you should not only turn off the power, but disconnect the PSU (or flip the back switch) before doing anything inside a computer.

15 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Never, ever, EVER move anything inside of a computer that has the power running on!  In fact, you should not only turn off the power, but disconnect the PSU (or flip the back switch) before doing anything inside a computer.

welp, a tad bit too late now