New network setup help

G_K

I had a massive breach in my network last year, where they took control of devices got hold of accounts on those devices and leaked my IP and passwords, I don’t want that happening again, I am starting with a fresh new network in a month and I am starting again, I know the basics

enable 

firewall

IDS

IPS

Honeypot

and have the network split into three

main

IOT

but I only know the basics from learning from YouTube videos,

I will be setting up the udm pro again in month with new internet, can anyone send my advice on pro tips on how to setup firewall rules and ultimately 99% make the network solid as I don’t want to go through that experience again

thanks

3 hours ago, G_K said:

...where they took control of devices...

Who's "they"?

Even with today's standard home routers, the built-in firewalls are sufficient to keep the majority of attacks at bay. You'd have to be a major target for someone to focus an attack on you specifically.

These days, most security breaches begin from within, whether it's IoT devices "phoning home" or malicious software that someone unknowingly downloads from phishing scams. And that can happen from outside your network that you bring home. Dealing with this is not to build walls, but to change client behaviour through education.

3 hours ago, G_K said:

can anyone send my advice on pro tips on how to setup firewall rules and ultimately 99% make the network solid as I don’t want to go through that experience again

Check out the videos here for tutorials on setting up VLANs and other UniFi stuff. Out of the box, the UDM-Pro is a pretty decent firewall, even with IDS/IPS activated. But for finer control and more useful tools, take a look into pfSense, Suricata, etc.