Odyssey G7 27" 1440p 240hz HDR600. My notebook has a 3070 with HDMI 2.1 out, but only achieving 144Hz, no G-sync. Plz Halp

Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,
8 hours ago, Typh Firethorn said:

Oh I see, my bad.
So the only viable solution would be to look after a HDMI to DP active converter

and at least DP 1.3, if there is such converter

The G7 uses DSC to achieve it's 1440p 240Hz, which is a feature only present in DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.1. So get an adapter for 1.4 and 2.1 and it should work.

So, I have an Odyssey g7 1440p 240hz HDR600.
My notebook is made by TongFang and rebranded by a local seller (Avell - model C65 MOB). Its specs are GTX 3070 + I7-11800H + 64Gb Ram (as seen on a print I've submitted with the post).

The problem I'm facing is that I just cannot activate G-Sync through it's HDMI 2.1 out, nor use it with more then 144hz. The best I can do, apparently, is1440p 144Hz and HDR enabled, but not g-sync, nor greater fps. 😢
Searching online I couldn't find any help on enabling it, neither through monitor firmware updates nor through messing with its OSD configs.

I think I may solve all problems with an HDMI to DP active adapter, but also couldn't find any that run with a DP version greater then 1.2, and to my knowledge, it lacks the bandwich to run all the specs I'd like to. ☠️

My last resort is looking for some help from you guys from ltt forums. May the tech wizards bestow their knowledge upon this lost soul. lol

I'm sorry for any misspelling, English is not my mother language and I'm a bit rusty at it 🤓

aaaaa.png

There are 2 main problems here:

The monitor itself is only HDMI 2.0, so it doesn't matter that your laptop is 2.1

G-Sync doesn't work over most HDMI 2.0 connections. It's DP and HDMI 2.1 only afaik.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

There are 2 main problems here:

The monitor itself is only HDMI 2.0, so it doesn't matter that your laptop is 2.1

G-Sync doesn't work over most HDMI 2.0 connections. It's DP and HDMI 2.1 only afaik.

Oh I see, my bad.
So the only viable solution would be to look after a HDMI to DP active converter

8 hours ago, Typh Firethorn said:

Oh I see, my bad.

The G7 uses DSC to achieve it's 1440p 240Hz, which is a feature only present in DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.1. So get an adapter for 1.4 and 2.1 and it should work.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I cant seem to find one even for DP1.3, so I guess I'll just keep it as it is till I can find the 1.4 adapter anywhere on the internet

Thank ya!

4 minutes ago, Typh Firethorn said:

I cant seem to find one even for DP1.3, so I guess I'll just keep it as it is till I can find the 1.4 adapter anywhere on the internet

Thank ya!

Just google it, there are plenty. Just one example:

Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 auf HDMI 2.1 4K120Hz HDR aktiv… (caseking.de)

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 8:06 AM, Stahlmann said:

Just google it, there are plenty. Just one example:

Club 3D DisplayPort 1.4 auf HDMI 2.1 4K120Hz HDR aktiv… (caseking.de)

The problem in looking for one is that those active cables are unidirectional. And the only ones that does work between DP1.4 and HDMI2.1 are doing it just from DP to HDMI.

I need one that does the other way around, and that's the one thing I can't find anywhere, even looking on foruns: The best I've found are HDMI 2.0 as the input and DP1.2 as output.

From my research, it appears to be a harder and needing more circuitry to do it from hdmi to dp then the oposite.

I think I'll just have to wait a bit longer for one to be made, and thats it.
Thanks a lot for all the help and information you provided, tho! Have a great week!