Unable to Run HDR at 144Hz

avrona

Out of nowhere, my monitor will not allow me to turn on HDR at 144Hz, only at 60Hz, or lower, even though it was doing it completely fine for several months. I haven't changed anything that could cause that and overall it seems like a Windows issue. The second I click "Use HDR", the button just goes from being on to instantly off. Why could that be? I have tried different cables as well but still nothing. I have done nothing to the PC that should've caused this changed or made any Windows changes when it started to occur out of nowhere.

1 hour ago, avrona said:

Out of nowhere, my monitor will not allow me to turn on HDR at 144Hz, only at 60Hz, or lower, even though it was doing it completely fine for several months. I haven't changed anything that could cause that and overall it seems like a Windows issue. The second I click "Use HDR", the button just goes from being on to instantly off. Why could that be? I have tried different cables as well but still nothing. I have done nothing to the PC that should've caused this changed or made any Windows changes when it started to occur out of nowhere.

Whole bunch of settings in several apps that limit frame rate.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Whole bunch of settings in several apps that limit frame rate.

It's not an app-side thing though if I can't enable it in Windows itself, not on a per-app basis or anything.

At what resolution you try run HDR 144 Hz? Do you use HDMI or display port ? What GPU do you have ?

13 minutes ago, Winterlight said:

At what resolution you try run HDR 144 Hz? Do you use HDMI or display port ? What GPU do you have ?

I'm running it at 4k, which should be possible via a DP 1.4 connection which is what I'm using. Everything hardware-wise supports 4k, 144Hz, HDR, so it seems to be a software-side issue.

3 hours ago, avrona said:

I'm running it at 4k, which should be possible via a DP 1.4 connection which is what I'm using. Everything hardware-wise supports 4k, 144Hz, HDR, so it seems to be a software-side issue.

Too sad but DP 1.4 is not support 4K HDR 144 Hz it can run max 120 Hz at 4K HDR. Theoretically you can run 4K HDR 144 Hz if you use DP 1.4 cable with DSC (display stream compression) but with normal DP 1.4 cable you can't run 144 Hz at 4K HDR.

5 hours ago, avrona said:

It's not an app-side thing though if I can't enable it in Windows itself, not on a per-app basis or anything.

Windows is an app. In this case.  Was there a windows update between “worked and not worked”. If so just roll back

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.