new build, freeze att start up or 2 min into windows, windows safemode works fine

display name 69
Go to solution Solved by display name 69,

The problem is solved. I changed the motherboard. Now everything is fine. Even with my "old" win10 pro installation. 

Hello!

i changed som hardware lately. 

new parts:

Gigabyte z690 UD DDR4 

Gigabyte TPM 2.0 chip

arctic freezer liquid cooler 

bequiet 1200w psu

old parts:

64gb DDR 4 Kingston ( 2x Hyperfury 16gb and 2x beast 16gb)

My SSDs (2x Samsung evo 850)

HDD

GPU Gigabyte 1080ti

The problem is the system freezes when its in windows after ca 2min. Sometimes even att start up or when its in recovery mode or when i try to install windows new. basically all the time.

Everything is ok when its in the bios or in windows safe mode. 

I have to cut the power wait and than i can start the pc again. When i hit the reset button its just power down, start up again and its stuck with a black screen, fans att full speed. Sometimes the CPU light is on( at the motherboard).
when i have the front header cables unplugged and just bridge the power pins to start the system it would start its self as son the power cable is in the psu. 

My trouble shooting attempts:

Bios is up to date and att default. no changes or xmp profiles. cleared cmos.

Changed the cpu from a 12900kf to a 12900k

changed the psu back to my old 750w psu. 

try to run the system with just 2 or 1 ram stick and changed the ram sticks to check if one of them is the problem( they are on the motherboard supportlist).

unplugged my gpu and try with the intel gpu from the 12900k.

unplugged all but one ssd.

installed windows new.

run the system with and without the TPM 2.0 chip.

I am running out of ideas what the problem could be.

Interesting, so works fine with safemode. Have you made sure you have the absolute latest drivers of the main components such as CPU, Motherboard Chipsets and GPU?

Also if you underclock the new CPU and ram, does it become more stable?

3 minutes ago, Cafuddled said:

Interesting, so works fine with safemode. Have you made sure you have the absolute latest drivers of the main components such as CPU, Motherboard Chipsets and GPU?

Also if you underclock the new CPU and ram, does it become more stable?

i have not tried yet to install drivers again. i have just 2 min or less to do so. It should run fine with the standard settings. the system is just idle and do nothing and just freezes. 

why should i underclock the system? its a z-board. that should handle a stock 12900k just fine. Do you think there is a boost setting that just go nuts?

New build with Windows install from previous build? That could be a red flag right there.

The suggestion to underclock is to see the problem is related to clock speed. Just because the board and chip SHOULD handle it, doesn't mean there's not a defect that won't let them. New means nothing.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

20 minutes ago, display name 69 said:

i have not tried yet to install drivers again. i have just 2 min or less to do so. It should run fine with the standard settings. the system is just idle and do nothing and just freezes. 

why should i underclock the system? its a z-board. that should handle a stock 12900k just fine. Do you think there is a boost setting that just go nuts?

Underclocking is just a troubleshooting step. And you said windows safemode works, install drivers that will let you in this mode. A windows default driver could be running the system in a way it does not like for normal reasons or due to a fault.

Welcome to the world of troubleshooting. You tweak things to try and narrow down the problem. Saying my system should work and asking why does it not with no troubleshooting is like playing pin the tail on the donkey when you are in Texas with the tail and the donkeys ass is sitting propped up on some rock on the dark side of the moon.

Edit, are you trying Windows 10 or 11? Keep in mind 11 is 12th gen native and 10 is not. Also what version of windows 10 is your image/disk using, latest from the web?

35 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

New build with Windows install from previous build? That could be a red flag right there.

^^^

Usually a hit or miss for a previous windows install to work on a new build

My w7 install can jump between my p45 boards and even jump to my p6t x58 board and run fine but it will not jump to g31 aka older 775 chipset just to give an idea of how hit or miss windows installs can be on diff hardware

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

^^^

My w7 install can jump between my p45 boards and even jump to my p6t x58 board and run fine but it will not jump to g31 aka older 775 chipset just to give an idea of how hit or miss windows installs can be on diff hardware

They said they already tried to install a new windows install... kinda...

1 hour ago, Cafuddled said:

Underclocking is just a troubleshooting step. And you said windows safemode works, install drivers that will let you in this mode. A windows default driver could be running the system in a way it does not like for normal reasons or due to a fault.

Welcome to the world of troubleshooting. You tweak things to try and narrow down the problem. Saying my system should work and asking why does it not with no troubleshooting is like playing pin the tail on the donkey when you are in Texas with the tail and the donkeys ass is sitting propped up on some rock on the dark side of the moon.

Edit, are you trying Windows 10 or 11? Keep in mind 11 is 12th gen native and 10 is not. Also what version of windows 10 is your image/disk using, latest from the web?

i run win 10 pro. the latest version you can get with the media creation tool from microsoft. Win 11 could be an idea, dont not try that. 

And for the troubleshooting part, i know that this part is tweaking and changing and so on. its just when u get an such an expensiv motherboard it should work att stock settings. And not crash when install windows. 

I will get win 11 a shoot when i have time.

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

^^^

i went with my old win 10 pro installation to see how it reacts. uninstalled the old drivers and install the new. That did not work out and so i went with a fresh install. that dont work either... . one of my problems.

The problem is solved. I changed the motherboard. Now everything is fine. Even with my "old" win10 pro installation.