Dehumidifier Recommendations

Tamesh16

I am trying to buy a Dehumidifier, just for when humidity raises in apartment. It is not well ventilated just two small windows. 

I have heard they break down quickly similar to a Portable AC and is usually not worth it but I am quite unsure. 

I know I would really benefit from one but the ability to never repair it as I have seen with a portable AC turns me off.

I havent even replaced a portable AC I own that is broken because this resistance to repair from local shops. ( I own it because the windows are too small for a window mounted AC)

So any thoughts, recommendations?

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

I've been running a 50 pint Frigidaire in my 550 sq. ft. basement for a few years now. It's been fine. I even connected it to my HVAC condensate pump with a piece of hose so I don't even have to empty its catch tank anymore.

There really is no "repairing" any dehumidifier or portable/window air conditioner. They don't have proper fittings, they just get charged via a tube that's then pinched off and braised shut. Working with refrigeration systems properly* takes specialized tools (and a license or permit from the EPA here in the US), so it's not DIY-friendly. It's worth repairing a large home system, but by the time you've got all that stuff, you've spent more than you would have if you bought a new, more efficient appliance in the first place.

I'd expect any quality refrigeration system to last at least a decade if it's taken care of.

* I know about those "magic AC fix in a can" things. They're crap. You can't properly recharge a refrigerant loop that has air in it, and their "stop leak" is basically air-activated glue. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

55 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

we have been using this one in our basement for about 2 years now. works great, had to clean the filter a few times(nothing abnormal), but no issues.

forgot link lol: https://www.amazon.com/hOmeLabs-Dehumidifier-Dehumidifiers-Basements-Continuous/dp/B073VBWKJZ

Thank you for the recommendation. 

this and the following Frigidaire are the usual top recommendations I see online

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z5PY294/?coliid=I7UTW9J4FG1EZ&colid=RAUL5Y5FDMU7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Did you have any issues having the appliance delivered? I never ordered anything like this online so I am a bit concerned

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I've been running a 50 pint Frigidaire in my 550 sq. ft. basement for a few years now. It's been fine. I even connected it to my HVAC condensate pump with a piece of hose so I don't even have to empty its catch tank anymore.

There really is no "repairing" any dehumidifier or portable/window air conditioner. They don't have proper fittings, they just get charged via a tube that's then pinched off and braised shut. Working with refrigeration systems properly* takes specialized tools (and a license or permit from the EPA here in the US), so it's not DIY-friendly. It's worth repairing a large home system, but by the time you've got all that stuff, you've spent more than you would have if you bought a new, more efficient appliance in the first place.

I'd expect any quality refrigeration system to last at least a decade if it's taken care of.

* I know about those "magic AC fix in a can" things. They're crap. You can't properly recharge a refrigerant loop that has air in it, and their "stop leak" is basically air-activated glue. 

Do you recall if its the one below, I was hoping to get this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z5PY294/?coliid=I7UTW9J4FG1EZ&colid=RAUL5Y5FDMU7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Also you recommend 'care' I have been looking into this but not too sure what that means

I have heard letting it 'settle' before turning on it, not having it on continuously or having it turn on and off too often. Thats about all I have seen, If you have any advice that would be great. 

Also thanks for the explanation. I never opened one so I figured it was due to lack of parts and too much variety but I understand better why all the places I called didn't offer any services for these appliances

24 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

Also you recommend 'care' I have been looking into this but not too sure what that means

Keep the filter clean, leave enough room around it for good air circulation, don't run it at 100% full blast 24/7.

25 minutes ago, Tamesh16 said:

I've had mine for almost 5 years, but that's probably the newer version of it.

-> Moved to Off Topic

Not about tech.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

, don't run it at 100% full blast 24/7.

Ideally, you set the humidity level and let it work.  

I use the onboard tank so it won't run forever, but it runs all summer in the basement here in Canada.  

49 minutes ago, Heliian said:

I use the onboard tank so it won't run forever, but it runs all summer in the basement here in Canada.  

Exactly. I set mine to 55% and leave it powered on all year, but it only has to work during the summer.

Air sealing and insulating the rim joist made a big difference for me, too. Ever since I did that, I noticed my dehumidifier only has to run about half as much as it used to. (I used 2" XPS foam and Rockwool to get about an R33.)

11 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Off Topic

Not about tech.

I apologize, I figured an appliance might be tech. Wont happen again

4 hours ago, Heliian said:

Do you know what brand/model you have, It would really help to know if I am going with one that seems to last

On 6/13/2022 at 4:52 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Keep the filter clean, leave enough room around it for good air circulation, don't run it at 100% full blast 24/7.

Okay Great! I will try to keep those in mind

1 hour ago, Tamesh16 said:

I apologize, I figured an appliance might be tech. Wont happen again

Same logic should be applied as with cars. Base technology isn't really cutting edge, and majority of the forums are for 20 last years of tech advances. There might be components that cross to tech, like added software, AI or IoT. But so far this discussion has been purely about performance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv