Synthesizing Engine Sounds From Scratch?

cluelessgenius

soo this a project im interested in and have no idea wherre to start.

i imagined a arduino or similiar micro controller hooked up to an amp + speaker and then having an analog or digital input for engine rpm and maybe more and then generating engine sounds.

but i dont just want to play files. i want to synthesize it in real time so i can tweak it.

ultimatly id like to maybe simulate engine sounds of EVs or space ships that are reactive and not just monotone playback of the same file.

can anyone suggest me some material to read up or even projects done by others?

the background is i bought an electric motorcycle and thought it'd be funny to have it sound like star wars and buyable options for engine sound generator all seem to focus on simulating V8 sounds which i find cringy and not in a good way.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

37 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

i bought an electric motorcycle and thought it'd be funny to have it sound like star wars and buyable options for engine sound generator all seem to focus on simulating V8 sounds which i find cringy and not in a good way

Would this be less cringy?

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Would this be less cringy?

well ... no 😄 but for some reason people really badly want the fake ice sound.

i was thinking more along the lines of this:

way more cringy 😄 but in a nerdy funny way. i would love if my bike sounded similar to this

or the wobbly one from this 😄 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

1 minute ago, cluelessgenius said:

well ... no 😄 but for some reason people really badly want the fake ice sound.

i was thinking more along the lines of this:

way more cringy 😄 but in a nerdy funny way. i would love if my bike sounded similar to this

Though its still pretty funny if you make your bike sound like a ricer civic xD

I dont actually have any help to offer unfortunately, just a joke opportunity too good to refuse, though i do suggest looking around the internet cause i bet someone has this kind of info if there are ppl making simulated engine sounds on yt

11 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

This is a lot harder than you're probably imagining.

You'll have to write a device driver, most likely, and then an interface to work through the diver to produce the sounds. This is two different realms of programming.

It would probably be easier to just code MIDI files from scratch as a defined specification and have those played through existing drivers.

im not shure i understand what you mean but i am aware of the difficulty. the thing is if the chinese can do it (they offer a ice sonund module for my bike) so can i, i already looked up how to fetch parameters from the bike i just nether synthesized sound from code and especially not on an embedded platttform