Should I wait for 40-series Laptops?

Hi!

I want a gaming laptop. I don't need one. I'm looking at MSI GE66 with a 3070ti GPU right now. A friend told me that 40 series GPUs will be miles better than 30 series, which is making me doubt my decision.

I'm not a professional gamer and I mainly like Rockstar open world games. I know GE66 can handle Red Dead 2 decently, but I want to buy a laptop that would hopefully run GTA 6 smoothly. I was thinking that if PS5 would be able to run GTA 6, for a 3070ti laptop it would be a walk in the park! But I'm not an expert on this matter.

Do you think I should wait for 40 series laptops? When will they be released and do you think they will be more expensive than 30-series laptops?

The 30-series was first launched in Sep. 2020, first laptops with 30-series were launched around Jan. 2021, so roughly four months later. Not sure when they were truly available to buy.

There's no official release date for the 40-series, but it is expected towards the end of the year. So if this pattern repeats, I wouldn't expect laptops to be announced any sooner than start of next year. If you can wait this long, then by all means, do so.

No idea what pricing will be like, considering the type of roller coaster current pricing has been. Even if the laptops start out similarly priced, there might still be a lot of pent up demand raising it again.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

The 30-series was first launched in Sep. 2020, first laptops with 30-series were launched around Jan. 2021, so roughly four months later. Not sure when they were truly available to buy.

There's no official release date for the 40-series, but it is expected towards the end of the year. So if this pattern repeats, I wouldn't expect laptops to be announced any sooner than start of next year. If you can wait this long, then by all means, do so.

No idea what pricing will be like, considering the type of roller coaster current pricing has been. Even if the laptops start out similarly priced, there might still be a lot of pent up demand raising it again.

Is it possible to say how much better they will be, approximately? 20%? 30%?

Just now, stanleystf said:

Is it possible to say how much better they will be, approximately? 20%? 30%?

Your guess is as good as mine. There is no official information about these GPUs right now, the only thing you'll find online are unconfirmed rumors and speculation.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply