Looking to upgrade

Budget (including currency): ~$800- $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Emulators mostly gamecube/ 6th gen consoles and earlier, occasionally fortnite and overwatch

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My current build is listed below, my monitor is 1440p resolution with a 70hz refresh rate. My main goal is to be able to run any of the well supported emulators with no issue. Secondary goals would be to stream games like fortnite or overwatch.  If theres a way to upgrade and keep large parts of my current build intact that would be ideal but Im not opposed to increasing the budget and starting over if its necessary

fffff.PNG

1 minute ago, lemonhope135 said:

If theres a way to upgrade and keep large parts of my current build intact that would be ideal

Probably, but that would require knowing what you're exact case, PSU, and CPU cooler are. The storage and to a lesser extent RAM (2400MT/s CL16 is very slow by modern standards, and RAM really isn't that expensive so you might as well upgrade while you're in there) can likely just be carried forward to  a new system, and if you're just playing emulated games the 1070 is still a very respectable card. Basically, you might just need a CPU/Motherboard upgrade and you're solid. 

19 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Probably, but that would require knowing what you're exact case, PSU, and CPU cooler are. The storage and to a lesser extent RAM (2400MT/s CL16 is very slow by modern standards, and RAM really isn't that expensive so you might as well upgrade while you're in there) can likely just be carried forward to  a new system, and if you're just playing emulated games the 1070 is still a very respectable card. Basically, you might just need a CPU/Motherboard upgrade and you're solid. 

do you have any specific recommendation on the ram? also thanks for the reply

If your power supply is from 2015, it's time to replace.

I would get an RM 850

I like the dark hero am4 board, but it's expensive. 5600x. Prism cooler off ebay (ebay). TridentZ CL 18 3600 16gb. 1tb WD 7000mb/s m2. 

And that eats up around 1050 bucks.

2 minutes ago, lemonhope135 said:

do you have any specific recommendation on the ram? also thanks for the reply

It'll depend on knowing what everything else you've got is. It's probably a good idea to stick to DDR4, and for the most part just get whatever the cheapest kit of 3200MHz CL16 is (currently in the US it's Patriot Viper Steel, so that's what I'd get), though depending on what the other parts you get you might want to get something faster. 

13 minutes ago, Kangaroo Factory said:

If your power supply is from 2015, it's time to replace.

I would get an RM 850

I like the dark hero am4 board, but it's expensive. 5600x. Prism cooler off ebay (ebay). TridentZ CL 18 3600 16gb. 1tb WD 7000mb/s m2. 

And that eats up around 1050 bucks.

This is my power supply.. an evga 500w. Is there any reason to upgrade it if I don't exceed that wattage of consumption?

IMG_3079.HEIC

I like to replace every seven to ten years. Power supply prices aren't too high right now.

If you've ever had a power supply fry your computer, you'll never forget it.

A quality power supply can also save your pc from electrical surges.

I've had both happen to me.