Faulty CPU

Hi,

I have a i5 4460 and a friend gave me an i7 4790 that I was going to use in my pc.

I think its faulty though, the 4460 works fine and mobo etc all works fine. As soon as I put the 4790 in it turns on but just blank screen and fans spin and that's it.

So it is clearly the cpu, my mobo supports the 4790: H97M-D3H

I have done the usual things clearly cmos and removing ram but nothing.

I assume its dead, but anything I can do?

Thanks

Interesting thing about the 4790 and 4690, they are part of a product family called devils canyon if I recall correctly. This product family was released after the original haswell CPUs so newer bios versions are often required.

With your H97 motherboard, I wouldn't have expected that to be the case, but you should verify the version you have as well the latest version available on their site.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Interesting thing about the 4790 and 4690, they are part of a product family called devils canyon if I recall correctly. This product family was released after the original haswell CPUs so newer bios versions are often required.

With your H97 motherboard, I wouldn't have expected that to be the case, but you should verify the version you have as well the latest version available on their site.

Running Version F7. So the second to last bios version. The latest one is a Beta Bios. Would it be worth trying the Beta one?

12 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Running Version F7. So the second to last bios version. The latest one is a Beta Bios. Would it be worth trying the Beta one?

Without another motherboard to test, I think it could be worth a shot. Maybe the CPU isn't playing nice with the memory so try some different configurations and slots, but if that doesn't do anything for the system, a BIOS update could do it.

I did check the compatibility on their site so the CPU should actually be supported just fine, if the BIOS is the culprit it doesn't necessarily have to do with the version.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

26 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Without another motherboard to test, I think it could be worth a shot. Maybe the CPU isn't playing nice with the memory so try some different configurations and slots, but if that doesn't do anything for the system, a BIOS update could do it.

I did check the compatibility on their site so the CPU should actually be supported just fine, if the BIOS is the culprit it doesn't necessarily have to do with the version.

Considering that the i5 works, do you think it could be a compatibly issue?

I don't really want to upgrade the bios to a beta one. As its a beta and may have issues.

2 hours ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Considering that the i5 works, do you think it could be a compatibly issue?

I don't really want to upgrade the bios to a beta one. As its a beta and may have issues.

I would see if it will allow you to downgrade to a different BIOS like F5

Primary PC:

39 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I would see if it will allow you to downgrade to a different BIOS like F5

Would downgrading the bios help? If F7 wouldn't work what would the chance F5 would?

17 minutes ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Would downgrading the bios help? If F7 wouldn't work what would the chance F5 would?

F2 and newer has compatibility for the 4790 so if there's a problem with the BIOS the flash would help. But I am not certain that the BIOS is the problem

Primary PC:

7 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

F2 and newer has compatibility for the 4790 so if there's a problem with the BIOS the flash would help. But I am not certain that the BIOS is the problem

Me two, I don't think the Bios is the issue. Assuming its the CPU which I am pretty sure it is. Is there anything I can do? I am gonna try another mobo next week to see if it works but I highly doupt it.

On 5/29/2022 at 2:55 PM, Fasauceome said:

Tried another pc and mobo, and nothing. Same symptoms as before. I assume the CPU is broken then? Not sure how it looks perfectly fine.

8 hours ago, Charmeleonnz said:

Not sure how it looks perfectly fine.

Any internal damage, or something subtle like a worn out capacitor on the CPU, wouldn't be visible. Sorry to hear that the CPU isn't working 

Primary PC:

On 6/5/2022 at 10:52 PM, Fasauceome said:

Any internal damage, or something subtle like a worn out capacitor on the CPU, wouldn't be visible. Sorry to hear that the CPU isn't working 

Damn it. I assume no way to fix it? Ill just sell it as faulty I guess.

Thanks