Write protected flash drive

DreamCat04
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,
51 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

Or do you mean that it's failing and it's protecting itself from data loss by making itself write-protected so that you can't further degrade it to the point of total failure?

This. Tries to give you a last chance of copying what's on it somewhere else before it fails for good. 

Hello LTT forum

I yet again need some help. I wanted to empty my like 5 USB flash drives I have that I already copied the data off a year or more ago. Now while trying to delete the contents of one flash drive, it keeps saying that it's write protected, even though I never set it to be write protected. I searched it online and don't know if I wanna go to my registry and disable it there. Is there a simpler way of removing the write protection of a flash drive?

Sincerely

DreamCat04

8 minutes ago, whispous said:

It sounds like it's failing, when it says that.

I can still open every file on there actually so I don't think it's failing. Or do you mean that it's failing and it's protecting itself from data loss by making itself write-protected so that you can't further degrade it to the point of total failure? I haven't used this one that much. I may only have written like 100GB to it in its entire lifespan

I just saw that I had a video on it too and opened that one. It played at like 1FPS, skipping 59 frames and then displaying one. Also I had task manager open on the monitor next to it and it reported a read speed of like 3Mb/s or so at 100% utilisation

Edited by DreamCat04

This is a screenshot of HWInfo. After opening it up, I opened a 23 Mb power point presentation and you can see that there was some write activity actually and the total writes are like 9GB so it should be perfectly fine

flash drive.png

51 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

Or do you mean that it's failing and it's protecting itself from data loss by making itself write-protected so that you can't further degrade it to the point of total failure?

This. Tries to give you a last chance of copying what's on it somewhere else before it fails for good. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

20 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Ah okay. I don't know why it's failing though but at least I already have all the data that was on it on my OneDrive