My home beast PC upgrade

Budget (including currency): XXXX

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Apex Legends!!!, Sketchup (3D sofware), Xara designer, 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

OK on another post I was suggested to use an i6 12600K for a workstation build, I cant believe the performance of this chip vs the price, I thought AMD was the best bang for you buck but I guess Intel is fighting back.

So Im getting one to replace my Ryzen 7 3700X, which means I need a new Mobo, a brief search shows a Z690 board is the way to go and I want to go mid-range with the board something like the Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro

Is this mobo a good choice? I do NOT need wifi. Always use LAN. 

But in terms of future proofing with PCIE gen and such, this is gen 5, what about DDR5 RAM, should I be looking for a board compatible with DDR5 or is it still too early?

Anything else I need to consider here, also in terms of compatability.

Hold up here. You currently have a 3700x and that is underperforming in what way? It  should not be struggling in any of your tasks and do them with ease.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Hold up here. You currently have a 3700x and that is underperforming in what way? It  should not be struggling in any of your tasks and do them with ease.

Oh its not at all, its great, but I need another CPU for a different PC, so do I put the intel in the workhorse PC or my personal/gaming PC? Thats what im contemplating 

2 minutes ago, K1LLA_KING_KONG said:

Oh its not at all, its great, but I need another CPU for a different PC, so do I put the intel in the workhorse PC or my personal/gaming PC? Thats what im contemplating 

Ooh in that way yeah just dump the intel in the main system and move the 3700x over. The 12600 is faster by default.

Also to save some money you can opt for a 12600 + b660 board. The k doesn't really overclock that well anyways and needs a fair bit of extra cooling to do it.

Also no reason for that motherboard. That isn't a mid range board that is a very high end board. You can do with much less and not notice a difference what so ever.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ooh in that way yeah just dump the intel in the main system and move the 3700x over. The 12600 is faster by default.

Also to save some money you can opt for a 12600 + b660 board. The k doesn't really overclock that well anyways and needs a fair bit of extra cooling to do it.

Also no reason for that motherboard. That isn't a mid range board that is a very high end board. You can do with much less and not notice a difference what so ever.

Ah OK so the B660 is enough of a board. 

My considerations are PCIE gen. Do I need to consider some future proofing here? My GPU is a conservative 2070 Super, but if I was to upgrade in the future would I need a higher gen PCIE, also regarding the SSD and DDR5 support

The i5-12600 is an odd beast. It lacks the 4 efficiency cores of the i5-12600K. For gaming this lack has no noticeable impact. For other uses it does.

One can use a B660 or H670 motherboard with an i5-12600K. It just means that the overclocking ability of the CPU will not be accessible.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.