Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stupidely High Ram Usage

So I was doing a bit of a clean up of my PC and discovered that for some reason my ram usage idles at around 24gb out of 32.
Currently running antivirus scans using bitdefender and I had a look using RAMmap at the usage (no idea what most of it meant).

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do remedy this?

morequestions.png

questions.png

4 minutes ago, Arashiiku said:

So I was doing a bit of a clean up of my PC and discovered that for some reason my ram usage idles at around 24gb out of 32.
Currently running antivirus scans using bitdefender and I had a look using RAMmap at the usage (no idea what most of it meant).

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do remedy this?

Just use Microsoft defender and if you changed anything in page file, then change it to default

CPU: i7 9700K@5ghz all core (silence + summer)

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@3733mhz @jedec cl15

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon:  LG 27GL850-B, 144Hz Nano IPS - G-Sync compatible/Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42(RIP) -> X53 (From RMA)

So the high Ram Usage is why I started cleaning up.
I only installed Bitdefender to get a second opinion from Windows defender (as historircally [yes I know it's spelled wrong, but dyslexia] speaking windows antivirus hasnt had the best rep, despite how good windows defender has been since win10.)

Havnt changed anythign with page file since I built this PC. it's still sitting at a nice 74gb of paged file.

So I read through a couple of threads and the General consensus is basically, you want your ram utiliesed as Windows trys to prempt what you're doing and having the relative files ready to launch.

Is this the case here or is the fact it's using 24GB of ram worrying.
As I know that windows 11 probably uses 10GB for itself.

Well I dont know what I did in my cleanup but after the restart It's now only 6.8Gigs

It’s not super uncommon for modern OSes to use extra memory it finds as cache for various things.  RAM is the fastest storage available. I suspect the different things doing that are more than happy to give up the space if it’s actually needed for something.  What I find perplexing is that only 24gig is used.  Would think the whole thing would be eaten one way or another.  Maybe it’s too much space to even eat.  There is a truism that adding more ram always makes a system faster.  This is how.  It may not make it much faster though, and it is possible to have so much ram that even this gets exhausted iirc.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Windows is full of bloatware. its common for it to do stupid things like this and take up so much RAM