Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My pc

Budget (including currency): 1500-2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Valorant, Warzone

Other details PC Builder - Intel Core i7-12700F, GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR, Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker 

Can I get a second opinion on this? My monitor will have 1080 res and 144 hertz ref rate

1 minute ago, ITZV0LT said:

My monitor will have 1080 res and 144 hertz ref rate

If this is the monitor you have, ditch the 3080 for a 3060 Ti/6700XT/6750XT/3070 and get a new monitor at the same time. A 3080 at 1080p 144Hz is like putting a Threadripper 3990WX in a PC that does nothing more than browse Facebook. It's just incredibly overkill, at that res there's basically no noticeable difference between a 3060 Ti and a 3080. A better monitor and a lower GPU will still give you good performance at everything but 4K. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZHFNzf

9 minutes ago, ITZV0LT said:

Budget (including currency): 1500-2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Valorant, Warzone

Other details PC Builder - Intel Core i7-12700F, GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR, Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker 

Can I get a second opinion on this? My monitor will have 1080 res and 144 hertz ref rate

This is 100 dollars over but i would recommend the parts rather than the other ones as they are higher quality 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t4Tcxs

1 minute ago, Noxitb said:

as they are higher quality 

Who said the original parts were low quality? Yeah those parts are "better," but they're also incredibly overkill. You aren't gonna overclock, so you don't need a Z690 board, especially one that has an incredibly overkill VRM, and the B660 board that was selected has a solid enough VRM. The RAM is likely the same PCB and memory chips, RAM manufacturer generally doesn't matter outside of overclocking and the warranty policy. That PSU is better, but also not necessary since the MSI A850GF is a pretty respectable PSU. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Who said the original parts were low quality? Yeah those parts are "better," but they're also incredibly overkill. You aren't gonna overclock, so you don't need a Z690 board, especially one that has an incredibly overkill VRM, and the B660 board that was selected has a solid enough VRM. The RAM is likely the same PCB and memory chips, RAM manufacturer generally doesn't matter outside of overclocking and the warranty policy. That PSU is better, but also not necessary since the MSI A850GF is a pretty respectable PSU. 

if you went with a 3060 like i put on there its 200 dollars cheaper and you get z690 plus ddr5 so you can upgrade in the future 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

and for the psu yeah its more expesive but it is 80+ platinum and has a 10 year warranty 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

as well as going with a nactua cpu cooler is better and its still 100 dollars under the 2000 dollar budget and the original cost 

5 minutes ago, Noxitb said:

if you went with a 3060 like i put on there its 200 dollars cheaper and you get z690 plus ddr5 so you can upgrade in the future 

As I said, Z690 is unnecessary as it provides no real improvement over B660 for a 12700F because you can't overclock. As for DDR5, the Alder Lake DDR5 memory controller is terrible so running any sort of higher memory speeds is very difficult and for most situations (especially gaming), DDR4 is just as fast if not faster at current memory speeds. That will likely change as DDR5 gets faster, but as eluded to, higher memory speeds are where DDR5 will be faster are next to impossible on Alder Lake. "DdR5 iS fUtUrE pRoOf" is just wrong, the early DDR4 is terribly slow by modern standards, the early DDR3 was bad compared to the late DDR3, and there's no reason to expect that trend to change with DDR5, especially considering how impossible the Alder Lake DDR5 memory controller is to deal with at high settings.

8 minutes ago, Noxitb said:

and for the psu yeah its more expesive but it is 80+ platinum and has a 10 year warranty 

80+ rating is not the PSU's quality, it's its efficiency. An 80+ Platinum PSU can be absolutely terrible and blow up within a week, and a 80+ white PSU can be amazing. the higher rated units tend to be better, but it's not a rule. Both are fine PSUs that will work just fine in this system and be pretty reliable. And yes, your power bill will be slightly lower with the 80+ Platinum unit, but it would take over 10 years for you to break even with normal usage, and by then you'll want a higher wattage unit anyway. 

Plus both units have a 10 year warranty so saying that's an improvement is just false. 

8 minutes ago, Noxitb said:

as well as going with a nactua cpu cooler is better and its still 100 dollars under the 2000 dollar budget and the original cost 

But it's also overkill for a 12700F when the Peerless Assassin 120 exists and gives you 90% of the performance and silence for half the price. Noctua stuff has better mounting gear, so an argument can be made for it, but it's not something I'd sacrifice the GPU for and definitely not something you need to upgrade since the performance will be identical (since again, it's a non-K CPU so you can't overclock it). 

20 minutes ago, Noxitb said:

and its still 100 dollars under the 2000 dollar budget and the original cost 

A budget is breathing room to spend if you need it. It's not a finish line. Coming in under budget while getting exactly what you need is always a good thing.

43 minutes ago, ITZV0LT said:

My monitor will have 1080 res and 144 hertz ref rate

You do not need an RTX 3080. What are your actual priorities? Do you play all AAA titles? Do you really want to turn on ray tracing? Do you want to turn on DLSS?

I recommend a 6700XT since they are coming down pretty aggressively in price if you have no desire to turn on ray tracing/DLSS. If you insist on Nvidia, then a 3060Ti (<$500) or a 3060 would be my second choice.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X; Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI); RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; StorageSamsung 970 EVO, 1TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 28GB (7x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: 1x Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 FE, 1x EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FE; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

1 minute ago, CT854 said:

A budget is breathing room to spend if you need it. It's not a finish line. Coming in under budget while getting exactly what you need is always a good thing.

You do not need an RTX 3080. What are your actual priorities? Do you play all AAA titles? Do you really want to turn on ray tracing? Do you want to turn on DLSS?

I recommend a 6700XT since they are coming down pretty aggressively in price if you have no desire to turn on ray tracing/DLSS. If you insist on Nvidia, then a 3060Ti (<$500) or a 3060 would be my second choice.

yes and thats what i said in my if you have a look at the list i made https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LWRPJM

This is all so silly.  100% agree with what @RONOTHAN##is getting at.  Warzone is the most intense game on there and it runs at 170+ fpos on a 6700xt at 1440p.

OP, what system do you have right now? 

Otherwise, you could get a computer that will play everything you want at 1440p for like $100, and then spend $500 on a new, better monitor.  I included a 3440x1440 ultrawide for maximum gaming immersion.  You could sell your old monitor for like $150 to recoup some cost.  

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($184.00 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG A520M VECTOR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($75.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Speedster QICK 319 BLACK Video Card  ($519.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: KOLINK Citadel Mesh MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($54.82 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA GQ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($409.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1554.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-23 20:35 EDT-0400

This parts list will play all of the games you mentioned and many others at max settings and a good framerate.  You could also bump up to a 3070ti for another $200, but it wouldn;t be that much different.

I know A520 boards make people cringe, but this one has decent heat sinks and onboard wifi for $90, and with a 5600 at 1440p overclocking is totally unnecessary.  If it's a wedge point you could swap in a better motherboard, but this 

EDIT: I just checked and you actually CAN overclock on that motherboard.  With a 6 core it should be fine to do so as well, and it's easily the best A520 board available.  A price of $90 and onboard WiFi make it a steal.

The sign is a subtle joke. The shop is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed", where feed and seed both end in the sound "-eed", thus rhyming with the name of the owner, Sneed. The sign says that the shop was "Formerly Chuck's", implying that the two words beginning with "F" and "S" would have ended with "-uck", rhyming with "Chuck". So, when Chuck owned the shop, it would have been called "Chuck's Feeduck and Seeduck".

2 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

I just checked and you actually CAN overclock on that motherboard

Only technically, you can't change multipliers so you're stuck doing BCLK overclocking which is a pretty bad idea since it makes everything else in the system unstable (it's AMD so there's no differentiation between reference clock and PCIe clock, so you'd be overclocking literally everything in the system), plus it's likely to corrupt your boot drive if you do so. 

So while you CAN overclock on that board, it's not a good idea to actually do it. 

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Only technically, you can't change multipliers so you're stuck doing BCLK overclocking which is a pretty bad idea since it makes everything else in the system unstable (it's AMD so there's no differentiation between reference clock and PCIe clock, so you'd be overclocking literally everything in the system), plus it's likely to corrupt your boot drive if you do so. 

So while you CAN overclock on that board, it's not a good idea to actually do it. 

Right sure, but all things aside I’d still call ot a good choice for a 1440p computer as everything else is solid, it has onvoard wifi, and is $90.  And I’m the dirst one to come out and aay Ocing is pointless in 2022 anyhow.  Especially for 1440p.  Mainly just getting at the fact that OP could do a whole system and a new monitor for $1500, as opposed to 2k for a tower.

The sign is a subtle joke. The shop is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed", where feed and seed both end in the sound "-eed", thus rhyming with the name of the owner, Sneed. The sign says that the shop was "Formerly Chuck's", implying that the two words beginning with "F" and "S" would have ended with "-uck", rhyming with "Chuck". So, when Chuck owned the shop, it would have been called "Chuck's Feeduck and Seeduck".

Just now, Queen Chrysalis said:

Right sure, but all things aside I’d still call ot a good choice for a 1440p computer as everything else is solid, it has onvoard wifi, and is $90.  And I’m the dirst one to come out and aay Ocing is pointless in 2022 anyhow.  Especially for 1440p.  Mainly just getting at the fact that OP could do a whole system and a new monitor for $1500, as opposed to 2k for a tower.

It's fine. The rear IO is a bit limited IO, to the point where most of the people I know wouldn't be able to use it, the VRM is very weak (4 phase VCore where they aren't even using power stages, just 2 low side mosfets and a high side mosfet) though it should be fine on the 5600 but I wouldn't put anything better on it, and I'd personally have a hard time recommending AM4 since it's last gen and the 12400F with a good B660 board (albeit no WiFi) is $30 more or $40 more with WiFi, money I'd consider pretty worth it. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's fine. The rear IO is a bit limited IO, to the point where most of the people I know wouldn't be able to use it, the VRM is very weak (4 phase VCore where they aren't even using power stages, just 2 low side mosfets and a high side mosfet) though it should be fine on the 5600 but I wouldn't put anything better on it, and I'd personally have a hard time recommending AM4 since it's last gen and the 12400F with a good B660 board (albeit no WiFi) is $30 more or $40 more with WiFi, money I'd consider pretty worth it. 

Yeah for sure.  But all in all still an exercise in demonstrating the excessive nature 2k for a tower with no monitor to play warzone.

8 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Yeah for sure.  But all in all still an exercise in demonstrating the excessive nature 2k for a tower with no monitor to play warzone.

For sure. The most noticeable improvement in my setup was a new monitor (Gigabyte FI32U). I was already running a 3080 and a 5900X on a Dell 27" 1440P 144Hz panel. Going for an actually good IPS panel instead of that admittedly fairly good TN just makes everything seem so much worse. It's to the point where I am genuinely considering swapping out all my secondary panels with something else because they look like crap in comparison. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

For sure. The most noticeable improvement in my setup was a new monitor (Gigabyte FI32U). I was already running a 3080 and a 5900X on a Dell 27" 1440P 144Hz panel. Going for an actually good IPS panel instead of that admittedly fairly good TN just makes everything seem so much worse. It's to the point where I am genuinely considering swapping out all my secondary panels with something else because they look like crap in comparison. 

Shoulda gotten the ultrawide and ended the proverbial marriage to the idea of needing 2.  Even for productivity, you'd be astonished at how much more productive you are with 3-way screen splitting, and not having shiny things off to the side to look at.  In-game overlays are a lot better for focus and chat than having chat apps up on the other panel as well.  It was a hard step for me to take but I'm never going back.  Then you could just sell your other panel.  Though TBH, with a 32 (as opposed to a 27), you probably could still juus run with 1 anyway.  Try it for a week and see how well you like the new version of yourself you become.

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

And yeah IPS for life.  I consider myself an early adopter of IPS and I've had the same (75Hz) one for like 6 years now and it still (IMO) looks more pleasant than higher refresh rate TNs.  When (or if) it starts losing pixels I'll get something 170HZ IPS, but for now I'm enjoying my eye virginity still thinking 75fps looks butter smooth.  My boyfriend has a 165Hz and I have to avoid looking at it.

yeah everyone is correct, a 3080 is insane overkill at 1080p. I have a 1070 that gets ~100 fps on max settings, 32 chunks render distance in minecraft at 1080p. Also, I have an ASUS ROG Strix B660-A Gaming Wifi D4, which I recommend as pretty much the best B660 board if you're not going to overclock. Good rear I/O, decent VRMs, nice aesthetics. 

13 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Shoulda gotten the ultrawide and ended the proverbial marriage to the idea of needing 2.  Even for productivity, you'd be astonished at how much more productive you are with 3-way screen splitting, and not having shiny things off to the side to look at.  In-game overlays are a lot better for focus and chat than having chat apps up on the other panel as well.  It was a hard step for me to take but I'm never going back.  Then you could just sell your other panel.  Though TBH, with a 32 (as opposed to a 27), you probably could still juus run with 1 anyway.  Try it for a week and see how well you like the new version of yourself you become.

There's 3 reasons I didn't go ultrawide

1. I have used them in the past and didn't particularly enjoy it (a friend of mine is in the ultrawide or go home camp). No offense to anyone who does but 16:9 is what I'm used to, gaming on one is nice but there are a couple of games I play that have issues with ultrawides (I.E. RDR2 letterboxes all 4 sides during the cut scenes for whatever reason) or I just didn't feel that much more immersed in it. Plus I use if for more than just games.
  2. I'm triple monitor and don't think I could go back. I got the aux panels for free from my ex-girlfriend's dad so that's why they're not amazing (they are IPS but they're 27" 1080P). I would be losing a lot of screen real estate by going down to an ultrawide, and I use every inch of monitor space I have (VM windows open, lot of documentation I'm referencing, and it's not uncommon to see me split screen on all monitors with the 32" panel quartered in stuff). Plus I hate having to alt tab. Virtual desktop is an option and half the reason my laptop is running Fedora with Gnome (IMO the best virtual desktop implementation out currently), but Windows virtual desktop wasn't great last time I tried using it (at least on 10, haven't tried it on 11 but don't particularly want to be running Windows 11) and it's just a less bad version of alt tabbing
  3. I'm cheap and I got the monitor used for dirt cheap (it was listed for $500 on FB marketplace, for laughs I offered $275 and for some reason he accepted). Even if I wanted an ultra wide, this was quite a bit cheaper.

It's the workflow I'm used to, and I'd rather not break it if I don't have to. Plus those in game overlays in my experience get broken a little too easily (Discord's overlay on my system has broken across 3 different Windows installs I've had, maybe I'm doing something wrong but it just hasn't worked in my experience and it's just easier to have Discord open on a second monitor than to actually use it).

20 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'm triple monitor and don't think I could go back. I got the aux panels for free from my ex-girlfriend's dad so that's why they're not amazing (they are IPS but they're 27" 1080P). I would be losing a lot of screen real estate by going down to an ultrawide, and I use every inch of monitor space I have (VM windows open, lot of documentation I'm referencing, and it's not uncommon to see me split screen on all monitors with the 32" panel quartered in stuff). Plus I hate having to alt tab. Virtual desktop is an option and half the reason my laptop is running Fedora with Gnome (IMO the best virtual desktop implementation out currently), but Windows virtual desktop wasn't great last time I tried using it (at least on 10, haven't tried it on 11 but don't particularly want to be running Windows 11) and it's just a less bad version of alt tabbing

I get that, at my last job I had 6 at my desk each with multiple windows open.  Don't miss that shit at all but it was a total necessity, and I was often utilizing a workstation with 8 depending on what I was doing that day.  I'm just always thinking about these things in the scope of personal projects or gaming, never think much of real work.  I guess the work from home revolution does have more people buying personal systems for real work, I did my dad's in 2018 and my mom's last mother's day.