Thermal issues with rog strix z690-i in nr200p

arminro

What it should be compatible with:

- PSU: Corsair sfx750

- Mobo: asus rog strix z690-i

- CPU: intel i9-12900

- Case: nr200p

Hi,
I assembled the pc parts above and currently I'm using it with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280. It barely fits in the case and I have terrible termals when I do a 10 mins cinebench test. Basically, I hit 100 faster than a Tesla Roadster. Given how I had difficulties intsalling the AIO in the first place, I suspect contact issues. When I remove the AIO pump, the remaining TP does not have the typical "evenly spread out" pattern, but rather like "crinkled cloth" (sorry for the bad similes, I have no picture), which I found to be typical of this problem too. I am aware of the partial incompatibility of the mobo and the AIO and proceeded to install it without the backplate.

Did anyone manage to get good thermals with a similar setup? Or what AIO did you use for a power hungry i9 in an SFF case? I'm also considering the NZXT x63 280, and it seems the lga1700 support is coming, although not automatically included in the package.

How do you even mount a cooler without a backplate?

From your description, the cooler barely makes contact with the cpu, if at all.

You have to keep in mind that thermal paste is really bad at conducting heat, compared to metal contact. So the further away the ihs and cooling plate are, the worse the temps are.

You could have good thermals in your case, by having a cooler that you can mount, because you are currently basically running the cpu bare without a cooler at all, obviously not good.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

15 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

How do you even mount a cooler without a bqckplate?

Poorly.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

43 minutes ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

Poorly.

It is not the entire backplate, the end is removable so it would fit inside the space created by the thermal shields. There used to be a list with my mobo listed as needing to do this, but I can't seem to find it now. It used to be under this list.

2 hours ago, arminro said:

Did anyone manage to get good thermals with a similar setup? Or what AIO did you use for a power hungry i9 in an SFF case?

12900 and Cinebench is generally already a recipe for 100 degree temps without serious cooling, and then you added a SFF case.  There are actually several posts on this. 

Odd contact patterns may be due to the LGA1700 socket issues? My 12900k / NH-D15 had some of what you might be describing as the crinkled cloth around the outside when I pulled it up. 

In games and such my temps were fine, it was synthetic loads I could see high temperatures, Cinebench for example like you would send my CPU immediately to 100.  I ended up lapping my CPU, lapped my NH-D15, and installed a thermal grizzly contact frame. My temps dropped a little but not really anything worth talking about, and Cinebench would still send it near 100 almost immediately.  However thats when I tried under volting my CPU. Manually setting my voltages dropped my CPU temps 23 degrees total, without giving up clock speeds, benchmark scores, or performance. 

It would appear my board was just applying lots of voltage to ensure it was stable and it definitely wasn't helping my temps. In my testing I could drop my voltage further (which dropped temps more) and it would still run Cinebench and 3DMark fine, but it would crash on Prime95. 

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

12900 and Cinebench is generally already a recipe for 100 degree temps without serious cooling, and then you added a SFF case.  There are actually several posts on this. 

Odd contact patterns may be due to the LGA1700 socket issues? My 12900k / NH-D15 had some of what you might be describing as the crinkled cloth around the outside when I pulled it up. 

In games and such my temps were fine, it was synthetic loads I could see high temperatures, Cinebench for example like you would send my CPU immediately to 100.  I ended up lapping my CPU, lapped my NH-D15, and installed a thermal grizzly contact frame. My temps dropped a little but not really anything worth talking about, and Cinebench would still send it near 100 almost immediately.  However thats when I tried under volting my CPU. Manually setting my voltages dropped my CPU temps 23 degrees total, without giving up clock speeds, benchmark scores, or performance. 

It would appear my board was just applying lots of voltage to ensure it was stable and it definitely wasn't helping my temps. In my testing I could drop my voltage further (which dropped temps more) and it would still run Cinebench and 3DMark fine, but it would crash on Prime95. 

I also tried a modest undervolting to no avail, but I'm not experienced at this. How much did you undervolt yours?

7 hours ago, arminro said:

I also tried a modest undervolting to no avail, but I'm not experienced at this. How much did you undervolt yours?

I don't use Asus motherboards, but I would assume you would have a similar option.

I found stability across everything at:

Core Voltage Mode: Adaptive +Offset

Core Voltage: 1.210

Core Voltage Offset: -0.120

As I said I could go lower, but then Prime95 would crash. I'm still testing / messing with some of the voltage settings, but that alone made a huge difference in my temps. I sit down in the 70s (mid) now in Cinebench and Prime95.

10 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I don't use Asus motherboards, but I would assume you would have a similar option.

I found stability across everything at:

Core Voltage Mode: Adaptive +Offset

Core Voltage: 1.210

Core Voltage Offset: -0.120

As I said I could go lower, but then Prime95 would crash. I'm still testing / messing with some of the voltage settings, but that alone made a huge difference in my temps. I sit down in the 70s (mid) now in Cinebench and Prime95.

Thank you, sounds interesting! I don't have adaptive I think, but I will have to look for it.

One more question: do you think that a custom liquid cooling solution would make a meaningful difference given how small the nr200p is? I mean, a difference over using any kind of decent AIO. I would be willing to buy a more expensive solution if it can improve my thermals by, say, ca. 20C, but I doubt that it can have such a huge impact.