Laptop design - Want suggestions

Hello,
I want to make my own laptop brand one day, and this is my first mock up of what could be. Each pixel is one mm. The laptop is heavily inspired by the ROG Zephyrus M16. On the left it has 1 usb c and one usb a, same on the right. On the back it has an ethernet jack (one of the ones with the hinged door to save space), hdmi, usb a, and a power plug. It is just 16.8mm thick (or 0.66 inches) and has a 16 inch 16:10 display. I am not going to say anything about specs because iI dont know what it can cool and its not real so it doesnt matter right now. There is a badge in the corner similar to the rog one, but with my typeface.

Thanks,
       Zyzzyx.

P.S. I also need thoughts about the typeface/logo please.

Untitled-1.png

██▓▒░    🆉 🆈 🆉 🆉 🆈 🆇    ░▒­­▓██

Rule 45: If there is not, there will be.

PC: ROG Flow X13 (5900HS, 3050ti, 16GB 4266Mhz) + XG Mobile (3080M 16GB 150W)
VR Headset: Meta (hmm) Quest 2
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G + Galaxy Watch 4

Hey that's so cool that you've gone out and started brainstorming/designing!

A few considerations for you:

• Will the rear IO be blocked by the screen pending hinge design as most laptop hinges pivot around the central axis of the laptop chassis which blocks the rear
  • Headphone jack?
  • Also what about the trackpad area, some ideas are an all glass trackpad with marks to indicate tracking area, a traditional glass trackpad with plastic, metal or carbon fibre surrounding the trackpad area to form the palm rests
  • Webcam considerations? Please don't do a notched laptop, just a thin bezel would be optimal
  • Chassis materials? Aluminium seems to be quite popular due to ease of manufacturing but you can skin the laptop with a variety of materials
  • Screen panel: Oled? IPS? This one I'm not too knowledgeable about.
  • Funding and investment, is this super preliminary or have you thought about funding and the business model of your laptop company?
  • In terms of typeface, you can go with a safe standard ANSI 75% keyboard layout though if ISO tickles your fancy there should be support for that too. 

All the best with your endeavour!

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

5 hours ago, another random person said:

Hey that's so cool that you've gone out and started brainstorming/designing!

A few considerations for you:

• Will the rear IO be blocked by the screen pending hinge design as most laptop hinges pivot around the central axis of the laptop chassis which blocks the rear
  • Headphone jack?
  • Also what about the trackpad area, some ideas are an all glass trackpad with marks to indicate tracking area, a traditional glass trackpad with plastic, metal or carbon fibre surrounding the trackpad area to form the palm rests
  • Webcam considerations? Please don't do a notched laptop, just a thin bezel would be optimal
  • Chassis materials? Aluminium seems to be quite popular due to ease of manufacturing but you can skin the laptop with a variety of materials
  • Screen panel: Oled? IPS? This one I'm not too knowledgeable about.
  • Funding and investment, is this super preliminary or have you thought about funding and the business model of your laptop company?
  • In terms of typeface, you can go with a safe standard ANSI 75% keyboard layout though if ISO tickles your fancy there should be support for that too. 

All the best with your endeavour!

1. I have a dent in the top panel, but I should make it bigger to accommodate for that.

2. Completely forgot, will add that soon.

3. Thinking glass, not sure how large it could be, but I can make up a size because this is just a mockup.

4, Ill have to mess with the top bezel to see if I can fit a bigger sensor, I hate those crappy 720p webcams so I want a 1080p one with windows hello and I will try to jeep at least a 92% screen to body ratio with no notch.

5. I will do aluminum if I cant get magnesium, it seems to be lighter than plain aluminum,

6. Cant say anything right now other than screen size. I dont know what I can and cant do at all.
7. I might have to think about that one day if I really want to actually make this, for now all I can say id Ill have to consult my dad who made many startups.

Thanks for your feedback. Im going to make a v2 today.

Got v2 done, very messy but it gets the point across. Added the headphone jack, changed the depth of the dent of top panel so the air vents arent blocked, added web cam.

Untitled-1(1).png

• 4 weeks later...

Link to mentioned laptop

This laptop has a detachable camera allowing a thicker sensor to be used without compromising thickness in the same way. This webcam is only 2 Mpx it could be improved and tighter integration with the laptop which could result in better image quality and a smaller form factor. I propose using a phone camera module that directly connects to an integrated image signal processor or DSP.spacer.png