MSI Laptop [GP62 6QF] - Now power up. No power light.

Problem: Laptop won't boot, and there is no power light, even when the power cord is plugged in.

Description: My CPU fan started to vibrate due to bearing wear. I unscrewed back cover, cleaned any dust from the cooling fins and fan housing using a needle. It still vibrated so I decided to lubricate the bearing until new fan arrives (ETA ~4 days). I unscrewed the heatsink screws, the fan screw and pulled the fan out by slightly bending the aluminum housing covering the fan and slightly lifting cooling pipes. The was at most 6mm of total lift at the and of the cooling "cover". But enough to pull the fan out. My monkey brain thought this was a good idea. Then I pulled the fan apart, slightly lubricated the shaft to the point where there was no vibration. And put everything back in. Connected the wires. Put the cover back on. Tried to power it back on... Nothing...

"Oh the power cord" - I thought...

Conected power cord and still nothing

The light that indicates power is still off. 

What I tried:

- The whole battery out, press power button for 60 sec thing. 

- Different outlets 

- Checking if I connected all the wires correctly [Wires that I disconnected during this shitshow:

- Bluetooth adapter antennas

- Fan power cable

- Some flat ribbon cable with pintch connector. [Not quite sure for what it is.]]

Aaand my questions are:

A: How fu*ked I am?

B: Is there any possible fix that I should try? 

C: Where it all could've gone wrong?

D: How important is the foil under the motherboard and can this be the issue (it is intact but there is a small dent in it)?

Edit: Flat ribbon cable that I disconnected seems to be a video cable routed directly to the display.

Edited by Wieszako
Additional info

If it doesn't appear to be responding whatsoever to hitting the power button, I would check to see if it's something as simple as the power button no longer making contact.  Sounds like it would be a pain but perhaps take it apart to the point that exposes MB or PCB where the power button is suppose to touch and make sure it's making contact or see if you can trigger the button press some other way.  Otherwise, it could be that the PSU happened to go bad; sounds like an aging laptop if you are addressing "bearing wear".  For future posts I would recommend providing specs/model number etc. for your own benefit of getting better suggestions.

7 hours ago, msconfig said:

If it doesn't appear to be responding whatsoever to hitting the power button, I would check to see if it's something as simple as the power button no longer making contact.  Sounds like it would be a pain but perhaps take it apart to the point that exposes MB or PCB where the power button is suppose to touch and make sure it's making contact or see if you can trigger the button press some other way.  Otherwise, it could be that the PSU happened to go bad; sounds like an aging laptop if you are addressing "bearing wear".  For future posts I would recommend providing specs/model number etc. for your own benefit of getting better suggestions.

Well it is going to be pain in the a*s but I'm gonna a try this anyway. Kinda weird that PSU died just in time that I was repairing the fan but could be just my luck (or complete lack of it) with electronics. 

PS: The spec is in the title. There is no veriation between different units of GP62 6QF's, except for only RAM capacity but that has been changed. 

On 5/23/2022 at 9:28 AM, Wieszako said:

Well it is going to be pain in the a*s but I'm gonna a try this anyway. Kinda weird that PSU died just in time that I was repairing the fan but could be just my luck (or complete lack of it) with electronics. 

PS: The spec is in the title. There is no veriation between different units of GP62 6QF's, except for only RAM capacity but that has been changed. 

I went with the multimeter and everything from the outlet to the power circutry was OK. 

One thing caught my eye. One capacitor had some clear oily residue around it. 

Capacitor - PC79 - (C0.1u50X) 

I looked the MB schematics up and it's part of the GPU power. I've attached schematics for the MB. I don't even know if I'm looking in the correct direction. I'm not sure how to fully interpret the schematic, I've looked at it for around 2hrs and I couldn't figure out what would the capacitor do. 

Another thing I did is checking if all grounding screws are tightened properly. Did that... Aaaaaad still nothing... 

Although I've heard that the PSU stopped "buzzing" after plugging the power cord. So PSU is definitely discharging. After pressing the power button very high pitched "buzzing" is audibly changing tones to even higher one, but apart from this nothing happens.

MS-16J51_0A MS-1795 (1).pdf