Office 365 emails/web hosting

Hi there,

being in IT support I get asked if I can take over a companies office 365 emails, website hosting etc.

It's not my area of expertise but feel it's something I could/should learn and expand my knowledge of.

Do you recommend any courses? I've previously done various courses on udemy and found them very helpful.

I've setup new office 365 email accounts etc before but in these instances i've been asked to transfer them from there current provider which I need to be able to do with minimal downtime. I need a reseller account as well regarding the domain name by someone such as 123-reg? (in terms of billing it would all be direct through there admin account anyway when it comes to 365).

Thanks in advance

if you're interested in m365, microsoft has this MASSIVE learning path thing for certifications.

even if you cant be arsed to become MS certified, the courses are free to access on the learning platform thing.

On 5/21/2022 at 12:47 AM, Yosh1 said:

Do you recommend any courses? I've previously done various courses on udemy and found them very helpful.

M365 SA & MCT here..

If you're brand new to M365 from a support perspective, the best place to start is the MS-900: Microsoft 365 Fundamentals course. This is a beginner course that requires no previous knowledge and covers quite literally the fundamentals. It's available either as self guided study or as Instructor Led Training. Check out the link below, and scroll down the page to see the Learn content for it. Microsoft 365 Certified: Fundamentals - Learn | Microsoft Docs

Beyond that, there are a number of different pathways you can go in terms of learning. Assuming you're working for some form of MSP/IT consultancy, there's a few things that will dictate where you go from MS-900:

1. What you're interested in: it's very difficult to teach/learn things if you don't want to learn them or you have no interest in them. E.g. personally I have little interest in DevOps/CIDI/IaaC. 
  2. What your customers do: this is something the business can help guide you on. No point learning all about say Teams Phone System if none of your customers use it.
  3. Microsoft Partner Competencies. Assuming your employer is an MPN member, they'll have specific certification competencies they need to meet, typically things like AZ-500, MS-500, MS-101 etc.

The poster below outlines all the current certification pathways available for Microsoft Cloud products. Click on the courses and it'll take you to an overview and links to the Microsoft Learn content.

Lastly, Microsoft over the last 18 months have been doing a massive push for virtual learning, offering both the Cloud Skills Challenge and Virtual Training Days. The CSC is basically Microsoft Learn based content: complete the learning modules in a given time and get free exam vouchers. Virtual Training Days are instructor lead virtual training, run typically specializing in newer product launchers, rather than aligning to specific exam/certification pathways.